The Colorful History of Taal Vista Hotel (Tagaytay City, Cavite)

The present Taal Vista Hotel

A lot of my childhood memories included family visits to Tagaytay  City, the country’s other summer capital (after Baguio City), where we enjoyed the cool and crisp (average temperature is 22.7º Celsius) mountain air and a picture-pretty view of Taal Volcano from its original grand garden view deck – the English Tudor Mansion-style Taal Vista Hotel.

View from Taal Vista Lodge’s Dining Room of Taal Volcano and Lake

View of Taal Lake and Volcano Today. Beyond is the 947-m. (3,17-ft. high Mt. Makulot (or Mt. Macolod), Batangas’ highest mountain

In fact, it was the public viewing ground to major as well as mild to moderate eruptions  of the volcano on September 28, 1965 , from 1966 to 1970 (lasting from three to 65 days), 1976 (September 3 to October23), 1977 (October 3 to 4 and November 9 to 12), 1991, January 12, 2020 and July 1, 2021.

Taal Vista Lodge and its Garden Terrace overlooking Taal Lake and Volcano

Previously known as Taal Vista Lodge, it is the second oldest hotel in the country after the Manila Hotel (built in 1909). The hotel has its beginnings way back in 1935 when the Zamoras of Manila Hotel bought six hectares of flatland perched atop an incline along Ilong Kastila (people say it resembles a nose or ilong) from American teacher Hammon H. Buck, the Superintendent of Schools in Batangas, who lived in the Philippines from 1898 until his death in 1945.

Hammon H. Buck with his wife Dolores Angeles and their six children

Newly elected Philippine Commonwealth President  Manuel L. Quezon, who initiated the development of Tagaytay as a tourism destination (so much so that, on June 21, 1938, he converted Tagaytay into a chartered city by virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 338), instructed the government-owned and controlled Manila Railroad Company to build a lodge and golf course on Tagaytay Ridge.

Commonwealth Pres. Manuel L. Quezon

Under the supervision of the Manila Hotel Company (a subsidiary of the Manila Railroad Company), the lodge was built, its architect probably Andres Luna de San Pedro (son of renowned painter Juan Luna) who, just a few years earlier, renovated Manila Hotel to accommodate a suite for Gen. Douglas MacArthur.

Architect Andres Luna de San Pedro

Its contractor was probably the well-known engineering firm Pedro Soichi who built the Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila and the Manila Metropolitan Theater in 1931. Both were favored by Quezon.  Upon the lodge’s opening on October 7, 1939, Quezon frequently held cabinet meetings in its premises.

The spacious Dining Room with a dance floor in the center

Typical bedroom of Taal Vista Lodge with porch ssed as a sitting room

A few years after it opened to the public, World War II broke out and the lodge became a vacation place for American servicemen.

From 1942 to 1945, when the Japanese occupied the country, Taal Vista Lodge was converted as officers’ quarters for the Japanese. After the war, the Philippine government took back control of the lodge.

On December 9, 1954, Alfredo Montelibano (Administrator of the Office of the Economic Coordinator) approved the rehabilitation and development plan for Taal Vista Lodge.

Taal Vista Lodge during the Post-War Period

The renovation included new cottages, cabanas, tea room and bar, three huge dining rooms (Lakeview Terrace, Alta Vista Pavilion and the Veranda), a children’s playground and sports facilities for horseback riding, basketball, volleyball, bowling, tennis and badminton.

Taal Vista Lodge

Between 1956 and 1964, Tagaytay  City began to be promoted as a major tourist attraction of the Philippines and Taal Vista Lodge was one of its leading attractions.

Pres. Elpidio Quirino

Among the prominent officials and personalities who stayed here include Pres. Elpidio Quirino (who also held cabinet meetings in the lodge); noted American newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst, and Senate president Eulogio Rodriguez and his wife.

Japanese Crown Prince Akihito and Princess Michiko

On November 6, 1962, Crown Prince Akihito and his wife Princess Michiko of Japan attended a luncheon at the Lodge given in their honor by Vice-Pres. Emmanuel Pelaez.

Six First Ladies visit Taal Vista Lodge

On October 24, 1966, First Lady Imelda R. Marcos hosted a visit to the Lodge of five First Ladies of heads of state and government attending the Manila Summit Conference – Nguyễn Thị Mai Anh (wife of the President Nguyen Van Thieu of South Vietnam). Claudia “Lady Bird” Johnson (wife of US Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson), Đặng Tuyết Mai (wife of Prime Minister Nguyen Cao Ky of South Vietnam), Zara Kate B. Holt (wife of Prime Minister Harold Holt of Australia) and Jongkol Kittikachorn (wife of Prime Minister Thanom Kittikachorn of Thailand).

Taal Volcano’s 1965 eruption

After the 1965 Taal volcano eruption, Taal Vista Lodge suffered heavy losses due to the decreased number of guests. In 1968, the Office of the Economic Coordinator (OEC) decided to privatize Taal Vista Lodge which was put on the block through public bidding on June 18, 1968.

The Resorts and Hotel Corporation won the bid (the other bidders were Philippine Airlines and the Sulo Hotel Group).  The company refurbished the lodge, constructing new facilities including an annex dining room.

Taal Vista Lodge Dining Room

In 1973, Taal Vista Lodge, now a three-star hotel, boasted a large pavilion for dinner and dancing, a bowling alley, a golf course, a billiards hall and a horseback riding area beside the lodge.

On January 11, 1984, the Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) took ownership of the Lodge and changed its name to Taal Vista Hotel. From 1984 to 1988, Hotel Development Corporation, its subsidiary, managed operations of the hotel.

Henry Sy, Sr.

In July 1988, DBP decided to sell Taal Vista Hotel through an unsolicited proposal from SM Investments Corporation (SMIC) headed by its chairman Henry Sy, Sr. who, when he was a young man, was one of the many regular visitors of the hotel, often choosing one spot on the grounds from which to gaze out and dream.

A 1954 photo taken by Ms. Felicidad Sy of husband Henry Sy sitting at the Garden Terrace of Taal Vista Lodge

From 1991 to November 5, 1999, SMIC added a new wing (Mountain Wing) which included a swimming pool where the rotunda is now located.  At that time, the hotel operated 83 guest rooms. On November 6, 1999, SMIC decided to close down the hotel for further renovation and construction of new facilities.

Taal Vista Hotel, 2004

In 2002, Sy had the hotel rebuilt, adding 2 new extensions on the east side of the complex to provide 128 rooms, conference facilities and amenities.  The central building (where the Lobby Lounge is now currently located) was reconstructed in the original English Tudor Mansion style.

AUTHOR’S NOTES:

The English Tudor Mansion style features a steeply pitched roof with an overlapping, front-facing gable; a facade accented with half-timber framing (widely spaced wooden boards with stucco or stone in between) and a prominently placed chimney.

Panoramic floor-to-ceiling windows at the Lobby Lounge allow views of Taal Lake and Volcano

Panoramic floor-to-ceiling glass windows were installed, allowing diners to watch, aside from Taal Volcano and Taal Lake, the 947-m. high Mt. Makulot (or Mt. Macolod), the fog rolling in, the captivating sunset and, at nighttime, the stars or the pinpoint lights of fishing boats and the lakeshore towns.

The Mountain Wing

After its reconstruction and expansion, this reinvigorated and now first-class hotel reopened its doors on March 27, 2003.  In 2004, further expansion of the hotel was made.  The Mountain Wing was extended (bringing the total to 128 rooms) and the swimming pool was moved to its present location.

Ms. Elizabeth Sy

Beginning 2009, SM Hotels and Conventions Corporation (MHCC), established on April 2, 2008, with Elizabeth Sy (Henry Sy’s daughter) as president, took over management of the hotel (the corporation remains to be its owner up to the present).

The Lake Wing

Thereafter, the construction of new hotel wing (Lake Wing) and renovation of the main lobby was started.  In 2012, the Lake Wing, with its new ballroom and additional 133 guest rooms (bringing the total number of rooms to 264), was inaugurated,

Organic Herb and Vegetable Garden

That same year, Taal Vista Hotel started the Organic Herb and Vegetable Garden which supplied the needs of its various food and beverage outlets (they have four – Veranda, Lobby Lounge, Taza Fresh Table and Alta Ridge Bar).

The 75th anniversary of Taal Vista Hotel

In 2014, as part of its 75th anniversary celebration, the old Magnolia Pavilion was reconstructed as Taza Fresh Table, a new restaurant which was opened on January 28, 2015.

Taza Fresh Table

The hotel has hosted many important international gatherings such as:

  • July 1 -3, 2009 – 44th meeting of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Committee on Culture and Information (COCI)
  • March 3 to 6, 2015 – several ministerial meetings of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit
  • September 11 to 14, 2017 – 23rd Senior Officials Meeting for ASCC (ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community) and 18th ASCC Council Meeting during 31st ASEAN Summit

The January 12, 2020 eruption of Taal Volcano

On January 12, 2020, after a hiatus of 43 years, Taal Volcano erupted and, on March 1, 2020, two months after the eruption, the COVID-19 pandemic forced the hotel to close its door to the public.

Taal Vista Lodge during the COVID-19 Pandemic

A few weeks later, the hotel reopened as a quarantine hotel for returning overseas  Filipino contract workers.  On September 4, 2020, the hotel reopened its food and beverage outlets to the general public and, a few days later, its guest rooms,  welcoming guests back under stringent health and safety protocols. 

AUTHOR’S COMMENTS:

I am wondering, with all the history attached to Taal Vista Hotel, why the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) hasn’t installed a historical plaque at the hotel’s facade.  The hotel has the distinction of being the second oldest in the country (after the Manila Hotel) and cabinet meetings of Pres. Manuel L. Quezon and Elpidio Quirino were held there in the past as well as meetings of APEC and ASEAN.

Taal Vista Hotel: Kilometer 60, Aguinaldo Highway, Tagaytay  City 4120, Cavite.  Tel: (632) 7917 8225.  Mobile number: (0917) 89-1254.  E-mail: reservations@taalvistahotel.com. Website: www.taalvistahotel.com.

Casa Real (Lingayen, Pangasinan)

Casa Real (Banaan Pangasinan Provincial Museum) of Lingayen

The historic Casa Real (Royal House), located beside the town hall in the heart of Lingayen, Pangasinan, served as the provincial seat of government (where the Alcalde Mayor held office as the Provincial Governor and the Judge of the Court of First Instance) and is one of the oldest public buildings in Pangasinan.

The portico facade

Built in the 1840s, it once served as the seat of the provincial government, from the Spanish Colonial era up to 1918 when the seat of the provincial government was eventually transferred to what is now the Pangasinan Provincial Capitol Building.

2019 National Historical Commission Plaque

On February 16, 1901, after the Taft Commission organized Pangasinan as a civil province,  Judge William Howard Taft and his commissioners went to Lingayen, Pangasinan and were given a grand reception at Casa Real.  In 1919, the building was used as a school and later as offices of the Judge of the Court of First Instance.

In 2002, it was declared as a National Historical Landmark by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP), noted it as “an outstanding and unique example of civil architecture from the Spanish and American colonial periods.”

Casa Real survived the damages brought by World War II. However, the May 2008 Tropical Storm Cosme (international name: Halong) damaged the building, blowing away its heavy roof.

Later, the provincial government of Pangasinan  allotted funds for its renovation and the building was converted into the Banaan Pangasinan Provincial Museum which was formally inaugurated on September 8, 2023.

Check out “Banaan Pangasinan Provincial Museum

 

AUTHOR’S COMMENTS

The two-storey, 1,480 square meter building has a portico façade, with square Doric columns that support a balcony, and topped by a triangular pediment with an oval keystone window (with spider web grilles) at the center.  Dentils frame the sides of the pediment. The lower storey has circular arched main entrance flanked by large rectangular windows with segmental arches.  Wooden French doors open out to the balcony.

The granite stairway leading to the second floor

The stairway leading to the second floor still retains its original piedra china, granite stones used as ballast for galleons and Chinese junks.  However, the original balusters are gone as they did not survive looting after Typhoon Cosme.  What you see are replacements. The original tin ceiling from Belgium has been replaced with fiberglass reproductions.

Banaan Pangasinan Provincial Museum: Poblacion, Lingayen, Pangasinan.  Coordinates: 16.019805°N 120.230341°E.

Banaan Pangasinan Provincial Museum (Lingayen)

Banaan Pangasinan Provincial Museum

The two-storey, 1,480 sq. m. Banaan Pangasinan Provincial Museum, rightfully housed in the historic Casa Real (built in the 1840s) beside the town hall in the heart of Lingayen, the capital town of the province, is a collaborative effort between the Provincial Government of Pangasinan and various cultural institutions, with the primary goal of preserving and promoting the province’s cultural legacy.

Check out “Casa Real (Lingayen)

Formal opening of the museum on September 8, 2023

Formally inaugurated on September 8, 2023, the name Banaan is derived from the Pangasinense word meaning “meeting place” or “convergence.”  It serves as a storehouse of diverse collection of Pangasinan’s history, heritage, ethnographic as well as contemporary art.

Ancient pottery

Among the collections to be presented in the museum include an assortment of artifacts from Pre-Colonial times such as ancient pottery, tools and ceremonial objects; traditional clothing and accessories, some crafts that will showcase the peculiar identity and customs of local villages; and also some contemporary masterpieces of modern Pangasinan artists.

A bull-drawn cart

The museum features eleven (11) galleries (three in the ground floor) that showcase the story of Pangasinan as a convergence point for culture, history, arts, education and innovation.  Knowledgeable guides lead us through the museum’s collections, providing insights into the region’s history and culture.

“Where the Asin and Bolo Embrace” Gallery at the museum lobby

Our hour-long guided tour of the museum began at the “Where the Asin and Bolo Embrace” Gallery at the Casa Real lobby where Pangasinan’s two major landscapes are featured -a salt farm in Dasol and verdant rice fields with bolo bamboo in the central part.

“Shape of Our Homeland” Gallery

From there, we were led to the “Shape of Our Homeland” Gallery, an orientation room where there are chairs and a huge screen for video showing. It also has maps of the province’s congressional districts and a chart showing the founding dates of the Pangasinan towns and cities.

Contemporary art at the Asin Gallery

The Asin Gallery, the third gallery at the ground floor dedicated for changing exhibits, is an opportune platform to feature local artists and artisans, as well as notable personalities and their contributions in Pangasinan.

Dancing Rings (Joe Datuin, 2008, stainless steel)

Depending on the theme and season, it will feature different art, culture, and history. During our visit, the Kaluyagan (meaning “province mates”) Art Exhibit, featuring works (some of it for sale) by 33 Pangasinense artists, based here and abroad, was ongoing.

“Watered by the Hands of Ama-Gaolay” Gallery

Going up the granite staircase to the second floor, we entered the “Watered by the Hands of Ama-Gaolay” Gallery, the Natural Heritage Room where paintings of Pangasinan’s flora and fauna are displayed.

. The province’s river systems

The province’s river systems are also highlighted.  The Natural History Exhibit, a section dedicated to the region’s biodiversity, features preserved specimens (civet cat, giant clam, etc.), informative displays, and interactive learning stations.

Princess Urduja (Margaret Estelle Blas

The Descendants of Apolaqui Gallery feature myths and legends, such as the Legend of the Hundred Islands plus an painting of Princess Urduja by Margaret Estelle Blas.

World War II artifacts and photo of a war-damaged Provincial Capitol Building

The “Beachhead of Valor” Gallery displays World War II artifacts (helmet, canteen, military patches, etc.), a reproduction of the war-damaged façade of the Provincial Capitol Building and a model of a Japanese Mitsubishi A6M “Zero” fighter hanging on the ceiling. Mounted on the wall is an old photo of the damaged Provincial Capitol Building and wartime newspaper clippings.

Model of a Mitsubishi A6M Zero Fighter hanging under the ceiling

The “Festivals by the Sea and the Fields” Gallery features traditional life and the festivals held by the towns in Pangasinan.

“Pilgrims Who Responded to the Call” Gallery

The “Pilgrims Who Responded to the Call” Gallery delves on the Pangasinense’s religiosity, Our Lady of Manaoag and the religious movement in the 20th century. Here, churches and faith healers are highlighted.

“Patriots and Nation Builders” Gallery

The “Patriots and Nation Builders” Gallery delves on the history and development of the province and the provincial contributions to the national identity of the country.

Salvador Bernal and Fernando Poe Jr.

Featured here are outstanding Pangasinenses such the late President Fidel V. Ramos (from Lingayen); writer and novelist Maria P. Magsano; educator, suffraguette and social worker Geronima T. Pecson (from Lingayen) and Speaker of the House of Representatives Eugenio P. Perez (from San Carlos City).

Victorio Edades and Francisco Sionil Jose

Also given a place of honor are actor, director, producer and National Artist (2006) Fernando Poe Jr. (from San Carlos City); National Artist for Theater and Design (2003) Salvador Bernal (from Dagupan City); painter and National Artist (1976) Victorio C. Edades (from Dagupan City) and writer and National Artist for Literature (2001) Francisco Sionil Jose (from Rosales).

Pantranco Bus

Replica of Manila-Dagupan railway locomotive

The Heritage Exhibits features rich displays of traditional clothing, accessories, and crafts that reflect the unique identity and customs of the local communities.

Replica of Bolinao Skull

Scaled Model of the Casa Real

The other galleries feature hand-embroidered veils; a replica of the Bolinao Skull (with its gold dental ornamentation); scaled models of the Casa Real and Provincial Capitol Building; small replicas of a bahay kubo, a Chinese junk, a Pangasinan Transport Co. (Pantranco) bus, the 0-6-2 side tank locomotive of the Manila-Dagupan Railway and even a bull-drawn cart full of baskets that were sold in a caravan.

Replica of a Chinese junk

To enhance the visitor experience, Banáan also has a carefully curated Gift Shop that offers unique souvenirs, local crafts, books, and artwork.

Gift Shop

Aside from guided tours, Banaan also offers special programs and activities, such as workshops, lecture series and cultural festivals. There are dedicated spaces for educational interactive workshops on traditional crafts, painting, music, and dance, which allow visitors to experience Pangasinan’s living cultural heritage firsthand, as well as for lecture series where invited speakers and experts will share their expertise on various aspects of Pangasinan’s history, archaeology, and culture.

Scaled model of Provincial Capitol Building

Banaan also hosts regular cultural events and festivals showcasing the vibrant traditions and celebrations of the region.

 

Bahay Kubo

Banaan Pangasinan Provincial Museum: Poblacion, Lingayen, Pangasinan.  Coordinates: 16.019805°N 120.230341°E. Entrance to the museum is via an online reservation system (launched last September 4) incorporated in the “See Pangasinan” website.  The link is promoted through the PTCAO/See Pangasinan Facebook page. Walk-ins are not allowed yet.

Fort San Antonio Abad (Manila)

Fort San Antonio Abad

Relatively unknown to many, Manila has another Spanish-era fort, aside from the well-known Fort Santiago, located south of Intramuros and this one is not easy to visit as it is located within the confines of the high-security Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP)  Complex – the 1.2-hectare, trapezoid-shaped  and equally historic but hidden Fort San Antonio Abad.

Exploring the fort with our guides

Considering its current location, tightly sandwiched between the imposing main tower of the BSP and the old Manila Metropolitan Museum  Building (now transferred to its new home at Bonifacio Global City in Taguig City), the fort is understandably overlooked these days.

Check out “Metropolitan Museum of Manila

Stairs leading up to the ramparts

Visits to the fort are by appointment and my son Jandy and I had to arrange our visit in advance via email.  It was only upon approval of our request that we were allowed to proceed to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Complex.  Upon registering ourselves, we met up with our guides, Ms. Regyn Avena and Mr. Lauro E. de los Santos, Jr. who were to tour us around the fort.

The view of the South Wall from the East Bastion

Also known as Fort Malate or Fort San Antonio, this fortification was completed in 1584 and named in honor of its patron saintSaint Anthony the Abbot (feast day: January 17).   Like the walled city, the fort evolved into a variety of stone fortress popularized by renowned French military architect Sebastien Le Prestre de Vauban, with two signature bastions at the corners of the canted walls.

The canted South Wall

Though relatively small in size, it certainly occupies a significant place in the history of Manila as it played a role in three great conflicts – the Seven Years’ War,e vents prior and during the Philippine–American War and World War II.  Located in what was then a separate hamlet of Malate, the fort served as a rear protection for the Manila as well as to guard the Manila–Cavite route.

The West Bastion at the North Wall

The Spanish used the fort as a polvorista (“little fortress” or gunpowder magazine to safely store gunpowder) known as Fuerte de Polverina.  On September 26, 1762, during the Seven Years’ War, it was captured by British forces under Rear-Admiral Samuel Cornish and Brigadier-General William Draper when they invaded Manila. They transformed the fort into a garrison, setting up an artillery battery.  From here, the British forces launched their land offensive against the Spaniards defending Intramuros.

The exquisitely designed North Entrance

On March 26, 1764, upon the end of the British occupation of Manila, the fort was returned to Spanish control and rebuilt, again becoming a gunpowder storage facility. On August 13, 1898, after bombardment by U.S. warships during the sham Battle of Manila, the fort was captured and the first American flag hoisted by the First Battalion of the First Colorado Volunteer Regiment under the command of Lt.-Col. Henry Bayard McCoy.

The grassy courtyard. On the left are the square embrasures

Also, during the Philippine–American War, U.S. military authorities used the prison to carry out multiple executions by hanging. Harry Cline, an American civilian under the employment of the United States Army, was the first American to be executed by U.S. authorities after he shot, with a revolver, four small Filipino boys from Parañaque gathering grass, wounding three and killing the fourth (Agaton Rivera) on April 8, 1901. Cline was tried by an American military court, found guilty of murder and three counts of assault with intent to kill, and sentenced to death by hanging which was carried out  on September 20, 1901.

The fort ramparts

During World War II, Fort San Antonio Abad was seized by occupying Japanese  troops and it was used as a bunker, with a cannon installed. During the Liberation of Manila, the fort suffered considerable damage.  After World War II, the very young Offshore Patrol, with the Manila Naval Station (MNS) as its main support unit, set up its headquarters at the fort. They vacated the place in 1965.

The now unused well with windlass

On June 1974, coinciding with the establishment of the new main office complex of the BSP, the restoration of the fort was again started (the first restoration was at the beginning of the 19th century) by Architect Carlos E. Da Silva, during the term of former Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Gov. Gregorio S. Licaros, and completed in 1976.

1976 Restoration Plaque

This battle-weary and proud structure is now a beautiful little park and events place with paved walkways and street lamps. Where guards once stood, there are now roaming gardeners keeping the manicured garden trim. Within the garden is a now unused well with a windlass for raising water.

National Historical Treasure plaque

In 2018, together with Intramuros (collectively known as the “Fortifications of Manila”), the fort was named a National Cultural Treasure (NCT), for their architectural, historical, scientific and archaeological significance, by the National Museum of the Philippines. Both forts were essential parts of the defense of Spanish Colonial Manila and scientifically important in terms of military and structural engineering. The NCT marker is now installed there and in Plaza Roma in Intramuros.

The unadorned south entrance. In my opinion, this entrance seems like a recent addition as there as its walls show no signs of weathering

At the fort’s south entrance, two historical plaques (the 1976 renovation plaque and the NCT plaque) are mounted.  A Historical Research and Markers Committee (now the National Historical Commission of the Philippines) marker, installed  in 1937, is mounted on the wall to the right of this entrance, is topped by a semicircular arch niche, flanked by Doric columns, with an antique wooden statue of St. Anthony Abbot within.

Niche with statue of St. Anthony Abbot

In turn, the niche is framed by a decorative moldings ending in scrolls. The original segmental arched main entrance of the fort, with its quaint iron gate, faces north.  This latter entrance is decorated with a bas-relief of the traditional Spanish coat of arms of Leon (the lion) and Castille (the castle) and topped by finials.

Bas-relief bearing the Spanish coat of arms at the North Entrance

The fort can be quickly explored in less than half an hour. At the lower level of the fort are a series of square embrasures, openings in fort’s walls where cannons can be fired.  These openings, flared outward to enlarge their field of fire, once faced the sea but are now facing the back of the museum.

One of the fort’s embrasures

You can walk around the entire wall perimeter via very narrow, 2-foot wide ramparts which can be reached via stone steps. Standing on either side of the fort, on arrowhead-shaped bulwarks (East and West), are two large, sea-facing naval guns which were damaged when the American Air Force bombed the fort during the 1945 Liberation of Manila in World War II.

William Armstrong gun at the East Bastion

Cast by Sir William Armstrong & Co. (England), these two 19th century, rifled breech-loading guns, weighing 20,238 and 20,220 pounds respectively, had a bore of 8 inches.  The original gun carriages are now gone (probably destroyed during the bombing or have rotted away) and have been replaced by concrete supports.

Pockmarked William Armstrong gun at West Bastion

AUTHOR’S COMMENTS:

After our visit to the fort, I can’t help but notice the differences between the plain looking south entrance and the exuberantly decorated north entrance.  Plus, I also can’t help but notice the seemingly misplaced bas-re;ief, with its statued niche, to the right of the south entrance.  This has got me thinking.

Could the south entrance have been originally located just below this bas-relief? It would make sense as statues of saints in niches or in bas-reliefs are usually placed above the entrances of churches and forts (even Fort Santiago has a bas relief of St. James the Moor Slayer, its patron saint, above its main entrance) to watch over those who enter.  Probably the lower and narrower entrance (suitable for wagons), with its pilasters, must have been walled up and a new, simple but higher and wider square opening was created, during the American era, a few meters beside it, possibly to allow tall and wide-bodied vehicles such as trucks to pass through.  I wonder ……..

For me, this makes sense…..

Fort San Antonio Abad: Banko Sentral ng Pilipinas Complex, Malate, Manila 1004.  E-mail corporateaffairs@bsp.gov.ph (to arrange for a visit).

Museo ng Sapatos (Marikina City, Metro Manila)

Museo ng Sapatos (Shoe Museum)

The Museo ng Sapatos (Shoe Museum), formerly known as the Footwear Museum of Marikina, is housed in an old stone building (bigasang bayan) built in 1880s by Dona Teresa de la Paz of the affluent Tuason family to store palay.   During the Philippine Revolution, it served as an armory of the Guardia Civil and, during the Philippine–American War, the building was used as a detention center.

Museum entrance

During the American era, it was then used as a motor pool and, during the Japanese Occupation, it served as a detention center for suspected guerillas.  After World War II, the structure was repurposed as a rice mill by the Tuason family but was later abandoned.

Museum interior

In 1998, Mayor Bayani F. Fernando conceived the idea to open a museum dedicated to Marikina‘s 110-year old shoe industry and, in 2000, he had it renovated and converted into a museum.

Column wrapped with shoe lasts

Opened as Marikina Footwear Museum on February 16, 2001, it aims to showcase the shoes worn by prominent figures and personalities in the Philippine history and to trace the history of the shoe industry.  Imelda R. Marcos herself led the museum’s opening.  When Typhoon Ondoy struck in 2009, water reached 4 ft. high inside the museum and many shoes were damaged.

Imelda Marcos Shoes Gallery. At the end are the Filipiniana dress of Imelda Marcos and the barong tagalog of Pres. Ferdinand E. Marcos

At the center of the hall is a column of old wooden shoe lasts. A stairway leads up to the mezzanine where 749 pairs (as of 2020) of size eight-and-a-half footwear (shoes, downy boudoir slippers, slick knee-length boots, open-toed linen espadrilles, alligator pumps, etc.)  of former First Lady Imelda R. Marcos, an active promoter of Marikina’s shoe industry, are displayed, occupying one long wall of cabinets.

Shoes of Pres. Ferdinand E. Marcos

Shoes of Pres. Manuel A. Roxas

Aside from shoes from local designers (she was gifted an average of 10 pairs a week), they include handcrafted designer pieces from brands such as Charles Jourdan, Beltrami, Christian Dior, Gucci and Oleg Cassini.  Also on display are a Filipiniana dress worn by her and a barong tagalog worn by the late Pres. Ferdinand E. Marcos.

Shoes of Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo

Shoes of Pres. Fidel V. Ramos

Seized by the Presidential Commission on Good Government, they were formerly on display, for six years, at the Malacañang Palace Museum (now the Malacanang Museum and Library) during Corazon Aquino‘s presidential term.

Check out “Malacanang Museum and Library

Celebrity Shoes

It was later placed in storage at the beginning of Fidel V. Ramos‘s presidency.  In 1996, a portion of Marcos’ shoe collection was requested to be transferred to the Marikina city government led by Mayor Bayani Fernando. Marcos did not object to the request in 1998.

Shoes of former Marikina City Mayor Bayani Fernando

Bowling shoes of six-time World bowling champion Paeng Nepomuceno

Also on display are shoes worn by the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos plus shoes donated by the late President Fidel V. Ramos, President Joseph Estrada (a size 10) and President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, and shoes donated by other politicians (Sen. Loren Legarda, Cong. Jose de Venecia, Bongbong Marcos, etc.) including a pair of shoes from Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago which she wore during the 1992 Presidential Campaign and during her visit to local shoe manufacturers in Marikina.

Evolution of Shoes

Circa 1930s to 1970s

There are also shoes from showbiz figures (Agot IsidroDolphy, Fernando Poe Jr., Christine Reyes, April Boy Regino, Angel Aquino, John Arcilla, Rosa Rosal, etc.) , athletes (Paeng Nepomuceno, Eugene Torre, etc.), beauty queens (Venus Raj, etc.) and other well-known personalities (Lisa Macuja-Elizalde, Jaime Cardinal Sin, First Lady Amelita Ramos, etc.).

Circa 1980s to 2000s

Circa 2001 to the Present

Aside from celebrity shoes, there is a display about footwear through the ages. Highlights include kinds of shoes icemen would have worn back in 3300 BC, Dutch clogs, Viking boots, Roman sandals and Indian moccasins.  Also on display are the products that made Marikina as the Shoe Capital of the Philippines.

Singer sewing machine

Men’s and Ladies’ Shoe Stands and Manual Delaster

On another corner are award-winning shoes, mostly fantasy footwear, from the city’s annual design competition.

A 3-foot high leather shoe

Also on display are actual cobbler’s tools, a sewing machine, shoe lasts, shoe components, men’s and ladies’ shoe stands and a manual delaster.  There’s also a huge, 3 ft. high leather shoe.

Shoe Components

Cobbler’s tools

On the sidewalk surrounding the Shoe Museum is the Shoe-perstar Alley, a walk-of-fame inaugurated on November 13, 2012 (Sapatos Festival).

Angel Locsin and Joel Lamangan

It features 49 famous personalities from different careers like politics, sports, arts, entertainment, music, philanthropy, business, news and current affairs, fashion and beauty, and religion who have greatly contributed to the upliftment of the shoe industry in Marikina.  Their names are placed on 60cm. x 60cm. tiles that have a 16cm. x 16cm. shoe design made of brass.

Monique Wilson and Brian Tenorio

Also outside the Shoe Museum is a century-old acacia tree, one of two Heritage Trees in Marikina which are enduring witnesses to city’s history, particularly the growth and struggles of its footwear industry. Now laying on its side, the trunk blocking J.P. Rizal Street and half of the roots unearthed and exposed, it was uprooted by a tornado spawned by Typhoon Ompong on September 14, 2018. First aid methods and bonsai techniques had been used to revive this acacia and it is now considered a symbol of the community’s own survival and resilience.

The still resilient Heritage Tree

Museo ng Sapatos:  J.P. Rizal St., San Roque, Marikina City (50 m. from the Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina), Metro Manila.  Open daily, 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM.  Admission: Php50.  Tel: (632) 696-6516.E-mail: marikinatourism@gmail.com.

How to Get There: take the LRT-2 to Santolan (its last stop) and then take a San Mateo-bound jeepney to City Hallon Central Shoe Ave.  From there, it is a short walk to the museum.

Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina (Metro Manila)

Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina

The over two century old Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina, formerly the old Kapitan Moy building, was constructed in 1780 by Don Jose Guevarra whose family owns “Asyenda Tyason.” Andres Bonifacio of the Katipunan once visited the place and, in 1901, the American soldiers made it a camp.

National Historical Commission plaque installed in 1970

Once owned by Don Laureano “Kapitan Moy” Guevarra (July 4, 1851 – December 30, 1891), recognized as the father of the shoe industry in the Philippines (he also served as capitan municipal in the former municipality), the first pair of shoes in Marikina was designed and made in 1887.

Don Laureano “Kapitan Moy” Guevarra

Doña Teresa dela Paz, a haciendera, then bought the house of Kapitan Moy to serve the needs of the marginal sector of the community, converting it into a home of needy residents of Marikina. Doña Teresa then presented the dwelling to his brother-in-law Don Jose Espiritu who transformed it into a primary school from 1907 to 1955.

Interior

When the Americans occupied the Philippines, the building also served as the house of the American tribunal. From 1942 to 1945, when the Japanese came over, it became the Japanese Imperial Army’s headquarters.

In 1968, it was also declared as a National Shrine by the municipal council and NHCP.  On April 16, 1970, the building was commemorated with a cast-iron plaque marker and listed as a Historic Site and Structure by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) for being the Unang Pagawaan ng Sapatos sa Marikina or the First Shoe Workshop in Marikina.

Galeria

It is also recognized as a Cultural Property of the Philippines by the National Commission on Culture and the Arts, National Historical Commission of the Philippines, and the National Museum of the Philippines.

Cafe Kapitan Restaurant

On April 16, 1986, the building was declared as the Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina (Cultural Center of Marikina) by the Marikina local government. On September 14, 2018, the building was damaged by a tornado , a day before Typhoon Mangkhut (Ompong) struck Cagayan Valley, disrupting the wedding reception held at the building.

Cafe Kapitan Restaurant

Inside this building can be found Doll Museum, Marikina City’s museum, a diorama showcasing the events and history of Marikina. It also houses two restaurants (Café Kapitan Restaurant and Kusina ni Kambal).

Exterior stairs leading to the second floor

At the Café Kapitan Restaurant is an old well which serves as a décor and a wishing well to customers at the ground floor and is also a venue for seminars, conventions and other events.

Bulwagang Bayani

The fully airconditioned Bulwagang Bayani, located on the second floor, can accommodate 400 to 450 guests. The Plaza Kapitan may also be rented for different occasions.

The author at Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina

Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina: 323 J.P. Rizal St.,1800  Marikina City, Metro Manila.

Church of Our Lady of the Abandoned (Marikina City, Metro Manila)

Church of Our Lady of the Abandoned

Located at the boundaries of Barangays Santa Elena and San Roque, this church, dedicated to Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados (Our Lady of the Abandoned), was first constructed in 1572, with bamboo and leaves by the Augustinian friars in a place called Chorillo (present-day Barangay Barangka).

Left side elevation

The church was started, on its present site, in 1687 by the Augustinians using forced labor.  Constructed with adobe in the Baroque style, it had a heavily fortified facade, large-scale ceiling paintings, a dramatic central projection of the facade, a round-style pediment for the bell tower and the opulent blending of painting and architecture. 

Right side elevation

On October 23, 1791, the church was consecrated by the Archdiocese of Manila for the Virgin’s said title so that it could not be used for any secular purpose.  It was twice destroyed during the June 1863 and July 1880 earthquakes and was gutted by fire in 1891.

National Historical Institute (NHI) Plaque (1990)

In 1898, during the Philippine–American War, the church suffered major damage and the first image was burnt along with pertinent records of the devotion in Marikina.  In 1902, a new image was created, and is the one presently venerated in the parish.  During World War II, the upper storey bell tower was totally destroyed. By 1957, the church was restored and refurbished by Fr. Silvestre dela Cruz of the Archdiocese of Manila with the help from various religious and civic organizations.  The church underwent a lavish upgrade from 2009 to 2012.

Statue of Our Lady of the Abandoned

On May 12, 2002, the 100th anniversary, the venerated image  (fondly called “Mama Ola”), was episcopally crowned by Crisostomo Yalung, Bishop of Antipolo. On April 22, 2005, as one of his first formal institutional acts as a pope, Pope Benedict XVI granted the venerated image a decree of canonical coronation (the 23rd Marian image in the country to be crowned). On October 23 2005, the coronation took place, with former Archbishop of Manila, Gaudencio Rosales presiding over the Mass and canonical rites together with the Antipolo Bishop, Gabriel V. Reyes.

Church interior

On August 5, 2007, the Feast of the Dedication of the Basilica of St. Mary Major in Rome, the Bishop of Antipolo, Gabriel V. Reyes, D.D., consecrated the the church as a diocesan shrine in honor of Our Lady under the title Maria, Inang Mapag-Ampon ng Marikina, Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados.

Choir loft

The church is known for featuring Metro Manila’s longest Holy Week processions with around 87 floats (as of 2023).  Nationwide, it is third overall after the St. Augustine Parish in Baliuag and the San Isidro Labrador Parish in Pulilan, both in Bulacan, which features at least 110 floats.

Main altar

AUTHOR’S NOTES:

The 1957 renovation retained much of the church’s simple Baroque façade but the entrance portico was added.  The 3-storey bell tower, on the left, has a square base and octagonal upper storeys.  The upper storey, with its dome-capped belfry, was destroyed by U.S. artillery bombardment (from Quezon City) during World War II and was restored.

Left side altar

On both sides of the church are a series of sculptures atop pillars, completed in 2012 with Jesus Christ (the Good Shepherd), St. Bartolomew, St. Philip, St. John, St. Peter, St. James (son of Zebedee) and St. Thomas on the left and St. Andrew, St. Matthew, St. Matthias, St. Paul, St. Simon, St. James (son of Alphaeus) and St. Jude Thaddaeus on the Right.

Right side altar

The interiors feature a main altar, two side altars, ceiling murals depicting scenes from the Mysteries of the Rosary, colorful Machuca tile flooring, various artwork (including angels, saints, OLA’s monthly devotional procession and the “Tinapay ni OLA,” a feeding program by bikers) by Angono artist Nani Reyes, colorful stained glass windows, a pulpit, and three-dimensional arches and pillars, all optical illusions, created by Rex Papasin of Batangas.

Pulpit

Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of the Abandoned: 641 J.P. Rizal cor. P. Gomez Sts., Brgy. Sta Elena 1801 Marikina City.  Tel: (02) 8846-1781. Feast of Our Lady of the Abandoned: May 12 (since 2010).

How to Get There: Marikina City is located 19 kms. (a one-hour drive) from Manila (via Quezon Ave./R7) and 9.7 kms. (a 30-min. drive via C-5) from Quezon City.

 

Quezon Heritage House (Quezon City, Metro Manila))

Quezon Heritage House

The Quezon Heritage House, a historic house museum within the grounds of the Quezon Memorial Circle, is situated across the Quezon City Hall. It serves as a museum focusing on the personal life of former President Manuel Quezon, complementing the nearby Museo ni Manuel L. Quezon at the base of the Quezon Memorial Shrine which focuses on the former president’s political career.

Check out “Quezon Memorial Circle,” “Quezon Memorial Shrine” and “Museo ni Manuel L. Quezon”

Built in 1927, the house was originally located at 45 Gilmore Street in Hacienda Magdalena (now New Manila). The Quezons moved to the house in 1927 when it was offered to them after Manuel Quezon contracted tuberculosis as the Santol Sanitarium  was just nearby.  The Quezons acquired the house on installment and managed to acquire three adjacent properties near the house.

Until they were forced to flee to Corregidor in 1941 during the World War II, the house was used as a weekend home by the Quezons.  After Manuel Quezon died in 1944, his family moved back to the house the next year, making it again as their family weekend house.  Later, it was occupied by the family of Maria Zeneida Quezon-Avanceña but, due to health reasons, she later moved out of the house to reside in Alabang.

During the administration of then city mayor Feliciano Belmonte Jr., plans to preserve the house were made. Belmonte approached the National Historical Commission of the Philippines and had talks on the city government’s prospects of acquiring the house, as well as the registration of the building as a heritage site.  However, the house did not meet all requirements for the designation.

The house was sold in 2012 and was about to be razed, when Mayor Herbert M. Bautista (born May 12, 1968) had the house disassembled and reconstructed in Quezon Memorial Circle. In April 2013, a new foundation was laid for the house and then the house in Gilmore was disassembled. About 60% of the parts of the house were removed with care and used for restoration. In June of the same year, the disassembling process was finished.

The total cost for the relocation was ₱10 million. The Quezon family also donated some furniture and fixtures for the house. In 2015, the Quezon Heritage House was designated as a Local Heritage Site of Quezon City by virtue of Ordinance No. SP-2428 passed by the Quezon City Council.

The two-storey Quezon Heritage House, painted in beige and white, did not follow strictly the Neo-Classical style theme as it underwent, in the span of more than 50 years, several modifications by the Quezon family.   Serving as the main entrance of the house are glass doors etched with bamboo with iron-wrought leaves, one of the non-Neo-Classical features of the heritage house.

Social Hall

An adjacent, single-storey rectangular social hall, present in the Quezon house complex, has round columns and features Fu Dog sculptures and two Caryatids as part of the support. A rectangular pool, between the social hall and the house building, was converted into a fountain when the building was transferred to the Quezon Memorial Circle.

The house’s living room, on the ground floor, was used by former First Lady Aurora Quezon as her office where she was establishing the Philippine National Red Cross.  Also on the same floor is a room used by Aurora as her age advances.   During the time the Quezon-Avanceñas were occupying the house, it was used as a guest room. A kitchen, each for the first and second floor, was also constructed.

The second floor, the primary attraction of the museum, is where the two bedrooms, with the original narra beds, of former president Quezon and his wife (the couple had separate rooms due to Manuel Quezon’s illness) are situated.  Both are linked by a comfort room. The original spiral staircase was retained upon its relocation to its current place. The cabinets and mirrors, doors, grills and some stained glass panels are all original.

Aside from featuring the interiors, furnishing and properties of the Quezón family, also on display are artworks by Guillermo Estrella Tolentino (1890 -1976), Miguel Geronimo Galvez (1912-1989), Loreto T. Racuya (born 1940), German M. Icarangal (1914-1984), R.F. Tapino, P. Żółcią, and E.P. Lim.

Beside the Quezon Heritage House is the Philippine-Israel Friendship Park, inaugurated in 2017, which commemorates Pres. Quezón’s opening the Philippines to Jewish refugees from the Nazi  persecution of World War II.

Quezon Heritage House: Quezon Memorial Shrine, Quezon Memorial Circle, Elliptical Road, Diliman,  Quezon CityMetro Manila.  Admission is free.  Coordinates: 14°38′58.4″N 121°03′01.1″E

Presidential Car Museum (Quezon City, Metro Manila)

Presidential Car Museum

The Presidential Automobile Museum (Filipino: Museo ng Pampangulong Sasakyan), within the Quezon Memorial Circle, houses the largest collection of state cars in the country.  It displays the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) collection of 12 interesting and unique cars used by 13 former Presidents of the Philippines during their term of office.

As early as 2013, the NHCP was planning to open a museum to house the presidential cars of former Philippine Presidents and, when it signed a memorandum of agreement with the local government of Quezon City, the NHCP secured a location for the museum.

Prior to the opening of the museum, the vehicles were housed in a private warehouse in Pampanga handled by the Presidential Security Group (PSG) while others were left in display in the garages of these former president’s homes.  They were restored to their original condition by Quezon City resident Alfred Perez, whose atelier Alfred Motor Works (established in 1993), located at the corner of 11th Jamboree Street and Kamuning Road, specializes in the restoration of classic cars.

On land within the Quezon Memorial Circle (formerly occupied by basketball and volleyball courts which was moved to another part of the park at the NHCP’s expense), the city provided at least 3,000 sq. m. (32,000 sq. ft.) of space for the museum. On August 19, 2018, the triangular museum was formally inaugurated.

Each display includes the car’s history and specifications as well as the profile of its user. . Beside the cars are busts of the presidents that were created by Juan Sajid de Leon Imao (born 1971), son of the first Muslim National Artist for the Visual Arts Abdulmari Imao.

The display includes the car’s history and specifications as well as the profile and bust (created by Juan Sajid de Leon Imao) of its user.

By the entrance of the museum is parol-inspired National Costume of 2018 Miss Universe Catriona Gray.

2018 Miss Universe Catriona Gray’s National Costume

The presidential car of Carlos P. Garcia (1896 – 1971) was never recovered. Presidents Benigno C. Aquino III (1960 – 2021) and Rodrigo R. Duterte (born 1945), who both used the more utilitarian Toyota Land Cruisers, do not have their cars in the museum as they are still being used.

The Packard Single Six Touring Model 233 Series 1924, the “retirement” (he rode a horse-drawn carriage during his presidency) car of Emilio Aguinaldo (1869-1964) from 1924–1964, is considered as one of the earliest US vehicles that were being exported worldwide for use as state transportation, it was used by the Russian Imperial family back then.

The car, originally displayed in Fort Santiago in Manila and the Aguinaldo Shrine in  KawitCavite, has wood and vinyl interiors. Its car plate, issued in 1936, bears the figures 1-1896, “1”” reserved as plate number of presidents, and “1896” the year the Philippine Revolution began.

The Packard Single Six Touring Model 233 Series 1924 used by Pres. Emilio Aguinaldo

The 1937 Chrysler Airflow Custom Imperial CW Limousine, the presidential car used by President Manuel L. Quezon from 1937-1941, came with a price tag, back then, of US$1,610.  It was exclusively produced in 1937 to 1937 by the Chrysler Corporation.  This car, one of the rarest automobiles in the world (there are only 10 or less in the world), is the only one in the Philippines.  The most aerodynamic car of its era, was powered by an inline 8-cylinder engine producing 130 horsepower and designed with a 3-speed manual floor shift transmission

The 1937 Chrysler Airflow Custom Imperial CW Limousine used by Commonwealth Pres. Manuel L. Quezon

The 1942 Packard Customer Super 818 Limousine, the presidential car used by President José P. Laurel and his successor President Sergio Osmeña from 1941–1946, had the best fabrics, leather and carpeting, plus a wool ceiling, It also has a glass partition that can be lowered so anytime the president wants to drive on his own, then he can do so.  Osmena’s own car, a 1941 Cadillac Series 1, is currently on exhibit at the Osmena Museum in Cebu.

The 1942 Packard Customer Super 818 Limousine used by Pres. Jose P. Laurel and his successor Sergio Osmena

The 1947 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75,  the presidential car used by President Manuel Róxas from 1946–1948, is an Imperial 7-seater limousine, considered as the ultimate luxury automotive vehicle back then.  It boasts Fleetwood coachwork, with a very imposing appearance and an impressive and detailed interior.  This car is distinguished by a massive vertical grille that stretch out to the fenders in a large hood.  Because of its engine, this Cadillac was considered one of the most powerful cars of its era.

The 1947 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 used by Pres. Manuel A. Roxas

The 1953 Chrysler Crown Imperial Limousine, the 8-seater presidential car used by President Elpidio Quirino from 1948–1953, is an innovative, 2-ton vehicle that had a long wheelbase and partition windows inside, power-assisted disc brakes (one of the first cars to offer them) and an electrical system with 12 volts power.

The 1953 Chrysler Crown Imperial Limousine used by Pres. Elpidio Quirino

The 1955 Cadillac Series 75-23 Fleetwood, the presidential car used by President Ramón Magsaysay from 1953–1957 (he rode a 1953 Ford Crestline Convertible during his inauguration), was considered, back then, as the most expensive Cadillac, this car was a favorite choice to transport VIPs and world leaders. It was used until the early presidential term of President Fidel V. Ramos.

The 1955 Cadillac Series 75-23 Fleetwood used by Pres. Ramon Magsaysay

The 1959 Cadillac Sedan de Ville, not the actual unit but similar to the one used by President Diosdado Macapagal from 1961–1965, is considered as a rare asset as there were only 20,000 (of which less than 100 units officially earmarked for export) of this huge, extremely sharp, very much remembered  and intimidating car model that was made available worldwide.

The 1959 Cadillac Sedan de Ville used by Pres. Diosdado Macapagal

The 1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series, the elegant presidential car used by President Ferdinand Marcos from 1980–1986, is Lincoln’s flagship car due to sleek design, high quality and secure car features, boasts highly advanced features.  It could be expanded to accommodate a spacious interior and had high-tech features such as keyless entry plus a more ‘digitized’ gauge cluster showing a trip computer which would let the driver and the passenger know the current status of ‘miles to empty’ and the ETA for every road trip.

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series used by Pres. Ferdinand E. Marcos

The Mercedes-Benz 500 SEL is the relatively simple and understated looking presidential car used by President Corazon Aquino from 1986–1992. As safety has always been a concern for this president being in the center of a country revolution, this car had bulletproof panels and 2-inch thick glass windows.

The relatively simple Mercedes-Benz 500 SEL used by Pres. Corazon C. Aquino

The Mercedes-Benz 500 SEL Guard, the presidential car used by President Fidel V. Ramos from 1986–1992, had thinner panels and  a built-in specific switchboard that gives control to the lights and the sirens plus buttons specifically for controlling compartments and fuses.

The Mercedes-Benz 500 SEL Guard used by Pres. Fidel V. Ramoso

The Mercedes-Benz S600, the presidential car, initially assigned to Vice-President Salvador Laurel, was used by President Joseph Estrada from 1993–2001. Said to be one of the safest presidential cars due to its features, it boasts a self-sealing fuel tank, doors with thick steel plates and Kevlar used in bulletproof vests plus protection from detonating devices and a unique alarm system.  A television set and a telephone system was also installed.

The Mercedes-Benz S600, initially assigned to Vice-Pres. Salvador Laurel, and used by Pres. Joseph E. Estrada

The 1993 Mercedes-Benz S600 (LWB) S600 V140 Limousine, the presidential car used by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo (born 1947) from 1993–2001,is a stretch limousine said to be the country’s longest and largest state vehicle.  It was heavily armored and had run-flat tires with engine block protective covering against any sharpshooters.

The Mercedes-Benz S600 (LWB) S600 V140 Limousine used by Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo

Four cars in the collection are classified as “other vehicles of historical value.” The 1935 Cadillac V-16, a transformable town Cabriolet used by President Manuel Quezon as his presidential car, from 1935–1936, was the first car with a Philippine flag.  It had a steel roof and a grilled fender. The car was soon turned over to General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964) in 1937 to honor him as the new Field Marshal of the Philippines.

The 1935 Cadillac V-16 first used by Pres. Manuel L. Quezon and, later, by Gen. Douglas MacArthur

The 1943 Willy’s Jeep, donated by General Douglas MacArthur, was used by Ramón Magsaysay during his tenure as Secretary of National Defense, during the term of President Elpidio Quirino, as his service vehicle from 1950–1953.  Resembling its military counterpart, it had a dependable shovel, gas tank and collapsible radio antenna.

The1943 Willy’s Jeep, donated by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, and used by Sec. of National Defense (and later president) Ramon Magsaysay

The 1960 Rolls-Royce Phantom V, used by Imelda R. Marcos (born 1929) from 1965–1986. was one of only 516 models that exist and were produced worldwide.

Te 1960 Rolls-Royce Phantom V used by former First Lady Imelda R. Marcos

Its interiors had a storage for wine and champagne bottles at the back, a set of four-crystal champagne flutes and a built-in humidor for Cuban cigars.  Other famous celebrities who owned this kind of car include Queen Elizabeth II, Shah Reza Pahlavi (the last shah of Iran) and John Lennon of The Beatles.

Interior of the 1960 Rolls-Royce Phantom V

kalesa, used until 1940, was owned by the family of judge and revolutionary  León Castillo  Apacible(1861-1901), a member of the commission that drafted the Malolos Constitution.

The Leon Apacible Kalesa

The museum also has an audio-visual room, a resource center, a multi-purpose area, a souvenir shop and an interactive Wall Alive feature.  The museum also showcases a special section on political figures that also shaped the country’s history.

Presidential Car Museum: Quezon Memorial Circle, Elliptical Rd., Quezon CityMetro Manila.  Mobile number: (0945) 470-0436, (0905) 435-339 and (0920) 698-1954. E-mail: pcm@nhcp.gov.ph and presidentialcarmuseum@gmail.com.  Open Tuesdays to Sundays, 9 AM to 4 PM. Admission is free. Coordinates: 14°39′0.7″N 121°03′3.8″E.

Museo ni Manuel L. Quezon (Quezon City, Metro Manila)

Museo ni Manuel L. Quezon

The Museo ni Manuel L. Quezón (lit. ’Museum of Manuel L. Quezon’), a museum at the base of the Quezon Memorial Shrine, has a collection of art works, relics and memorabilia related to former President Manuel L. Quezon as well as his wife, First Lady Aurora Aragon Quezon.  It is one of three museums within the Quezon Memorial Circle (the others are the Quezon Heritage House and the Presidential Car Museum).

Check out “Quezon Memorial Shrine,” “Quezon Heritage House” and the “Presidential Car Museum

Gallery I (Kabtaan ni Manuel)

Opened on August 18, 1978, the museum underwent a renovation by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines and was reopened on August 19, 2015.

Maj. Manuel Quezon (Bataan, 1901)

Certification of Completion (University of Sto. Tomas)

Gallery 1 (Kabataan ni Manuel) features the late president’s life in Baler, and Tayabas (now Aurora), where he was born on August 19, 1878; his education at the Colegio de San Juan de Letran and the University of Sto. Tomas, where he earned a law degree; revolution days; and civilian life.

Portrait of Don Francisco Ortigas and a souvenir frame from the Thomasites

Salakots and Hats of Quezon

Large imprint of Pres. Quezon’s right hand

On display here are the following:

  • Quezon’s February 19, 1894 University of Sto. Tomas diploma for Bachelor of Arts
  • A large imprint of Quezon’s right hand, artist unknown
  • A souvenir frame from the Thomasites
  • Portrait of Don Francisco Ortigas
  • A 1901 photo of Maj. Manuel L. Quezon in Bataan (during the Philippine-American War, where he served as aide-de-camp to Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo)
  • His hat collection (including several salakot” or native hats which he would often wear during his sorties in the provinces).

Gallery II (Unang Taon sa Serbisyo Publiko)

Gallery 2 (Unang Taon sa Serbisyo Publiko) shows his post-war endeavors as a lawyer, governor of Tayabas in 1906; National Assembly representative (1907); Resident Commissioner to Washington D.C. (1909); and Senate President (1916).

Ink dish

Calendar holder

A number of the memorabilia displayed are gifts given to Quezon by local dignitaries and organizations, some of them given during his birthday.  They include:

  • A calendar holder and a Senate crystal glass ink dish,(on opaline base with initials MLQ) given to Quezón on January 1, 1925, in appreciation of Quezón in leading the Independence Mission to Washington DC, in 1924.
  • A sterling silver inkwell given, on August 19, 1917, to Quezón as a birthday gift by Teodoro Rafael Yangco (1861-1939), who was Quezón’s replacement as the Resident Commissioner to the US Congress in Washington.
  • Two sterling silver vases given to Pres. Quezón by the Los Senadores (The Senators) and the Functionarios Y Empleados de Senado (Officials and Employees of the Senate) on January 1, 1924.
  • A July 1935 a decorative plaque, one of the oldest in the collection, was dedicated to Senate President Manuel Quezon from the Spanish cities of Alicante, Castellon de la Plana and Valencia.
  • A short 1916 obelisk, with silver plaques dedicated to Quezon, awarded by the Freemason Nilad Lodge 144 on September 23, 1916 (just a few days before he would win the 5th District senatorial seat on October 3, 1916), honoring Quezón for his work as the Resident Commissioner in Washington, D. C. from 1909 to 1916.

Obelisk plaque

Ink well set with globe

One of two sterling silver vases

There are also a number of historical photos from that era displayed such as:

Letter of endorsement

Other memorabilia on display include the following:

  • Masonic plaque issued on April 9, 1917 by Lodge of Regeneration No. 36 (Tarlac) in honor of Quezon
  • A Comprovincianos Plaque of the Province of Tayabas, a plaque of honor presented on January 1, 1918, to Quezon by Gov. Maximo Rodriguez and the Las Mas Alta Gloria de la Provincia de Tayabas y Legitimo Orgullo de la Raza Filipina (The Highest Glory of the Province of Tayabas and Legitimate Pride of the Philippine Race) to honor their native son.
  • A 1922 bust of Don Crispulo Zamora by Guillermo E. Tolentino.
  • Musical Piece (Anti Hare-Hawes-Cutting), by Hilario F. Rubio and published by Marcelino Masangkay (copyright 1934), dedicated to Senate Pres. Quezon.
  • Letter of Senate Pres. Quezon to Jose Vitug (of Lubao, Pampanga) endorsing him as Nationalista candidate.

Musical Piece (Anti Hare-Hawes-Cutting)

Gallery 3 (Pamahalang Komonwelt) features Quezon’s Commonwealth presidency, his supposed re-election in 1941 — interrupted by the war caused by Japan’s invasion and occupation — and his exile to the United States (US) from 1942 to 1944.

Gallery III (Pamahalang Komonwelt

Again, also on display here are a number of gifts given to Pres. Quezon by local and foreign dignitaries and organizations, especially on his birthday.  They include the following:

  • A hand-lettered song sheet, by Matias, containing the lyrics of a song entitled Mabuhay, Presidente Quezón Mabuhay! (Long Live, President Quezón, Long Live), which was composed in the Ilocano language by Gil delos Santos Raval (1880-1949) and Laoag postmaster Proceso Coloma, between 1938 and 1941, upon the request of Gov. Roque Blanco Ablan, Sr. (1896 – 1943) and Laoag Mayor Agripino Palting Santos (1897 – 1952). It was translated to English by Fiscal (and future congressman) Pedro Albano (born 1907).
  • A sculpture of Pres. Quezón planting rice, given to him by the National Commission of Peasants, on his 61st birthday on August 19, 1939. The sculpture is based on the famous photograph of the president when he was planting rice in celebration of the First National Rice Planting Day, on July 9, 1939.
  • A 1938 Handog ng Taliba caricature, by cartoonist Liborio “Gat” Talag Gatbonton (1914-1976), of Pres. Manuel Quezon in a tuxedo, presented to Quezon on August 19, 1938 (his 60th birthday).
  • A 1936 caricature, on ink on paper, of Manuel L. Quezon by Alfredo Gabriel
  • A 1936 caricature, on persil, of Pres. Manuel L. Quezon by Filipino-Spanish artist Luis León Lasa (1890–1986).
  • Vase in the shape of a traditional Japanese basket, given by Japanese Imperial Army Gen. Baron G. Tanaka to Pres. Quezon.
  • Coconut shell trophy, with decorative silver-plated leaves and stand, gifted by Manileno silversmith engraver Crispulo Zamora (1871 – 1922).
  • A 1939 relief of a farming scene given to Pres. Quezón, with replicas of native hats that the president enjoyed wearing.
  • Globular jars, with various Chinese deities in black and gold, from Chinese Consul-Gen. Kwangsen Young and Alfonso Z. Sycip (1888 – 1978).
  • Satzuma ware potpourri bowl.
  • President Quezon March (music by M.P. Velez, words in Spanish by J. Hernandez Gavira), dedicated to Quezon on August 19, 1939 (his 61st birthday).
  • A 3 rpm record containing Marcha Socialismo Quezoniana, performed and recorded at KZRH, presented to Quezon on August 19, 1941 (his 63rd birthday).

Pres. Quezon Planting Rice

Coconut Shell Trophy

Globular jars

Vase given by Japanese Imperial Army Gen. Baron G. Tanaka

Japanese Satzuma ware

Pres. Quezon March

Historical photos on display include:

  • A 1939 photo of Pres Quezon inspecting a soldier’s rifle, on their way to inspect the Diliman Estate with future-QC Mayor Tomas Morato and Major General Basilio J. Valdes (1892-1970), Armed Forces of Philippines
  • Photo of Pres. Quezon presenting degrees at the University of Sto. Tomas (where Aurora Aragon Quezon received her honorary Doctor of Pedagogy ) on March 23, 1940
  • Photo of Pres. Quezon signing the Suffrage Law on September 15, 1937 at Malacanang Palace.

The Signing of the Suffrage Law

A lot of the displays deal with artifacts from the Philippine Commonwealth Period.

Repository of 1935 Constitution

One very important artifact occupying a place of honor is a 1935 Damascene gold inlaid chest Philippine Constitution repository, created by Jose Vicente “Mantxon” Iriondo y Ezaguirre (1893 – 1973) and Tomas Guisasola y Guisasola, the students of famed Spanish sculptor and metalworker Placido Maria Martin Zoloaga ( 1834 – 1910) from Eibar, Spain; and sold by Beristain of Barcelona, Spain.

On the left are 1936 Philippine Commonwealth coins while on the right are Franklin Mint silver coins, issued by the Central Bank of the Philippines, commemorating Manuel Quezon’s centenary.

Banner of Honor Bearing the Commonwealth Seal

1936 Calendar and Cartridge Shells

Other Philippine Commonwealth memorabilia include:

  • A 1936 Birth of the Commonwealth Calendar, which celebrates the next major step to Philippine Independence.
  • Three pieces of cartridge cases used for the first gun salute in honor of Pres. Quezon, fired on June 3, 1936.
  • An honor banner bearing the Commonwealth seal of the Philippines.
  • Quezon March (a printed musical composition by Julian Silverio)
  • The 1938 painting The Commonwealth by Antonio Gonzales Dumlao (1912-1983)
  • November 25, 1935 issue of Time Magazine with Pres. Quezon gracing the cover in commemoration of the inauguration of the Commonwealth.
  • 1936 Commonwealth coins
  • 1935 Commonwealth dry seal
  • Dinnerware with Commonwealth seal

Dinnerware Set with Commonwealth Seal

Quezon featured in cover of Time Magazine (November 25, 1935)

Commonwealth Dry Seal

Some artifacts deal with the Quezon Institute, a medical complex named after the president (who suffered and died from tuberculosis) who was its benefactor.  They include:

  • A copy of the Quezon Institute Plaque created by the sons of Crispulo de Guzman-Mendoza Zamora (1871-1922), in 1938.
  • A relief of Pres. Quezón’s head in profile on the 1938 commemorative plaque of the Quezon Institute, which was created by the family of Crispulo Zamora.

Plaque of Appreciation from Quezon Institute

Other items on display are Pres. Manuel L. Quezon’s personal belongings such as:

  • Statuette of Pres. Quezon with his swagger stick
  • Quezon’s tailcoat
  • Quezon’s sword collection
  • Quezon’s bastonero (walking stick holder)

Quezon’s bastonero (walking stick holder)

Statuette of Quezon holding his swagger stick.  At the foot of the statue is Quezon’s swagger stick

Quezon’s tailcoat

Quezon Sword Collection

Gallery 4 (Ikalawang Digmaang Pandaidig sa Pilipinas) feature’s Quezon’s leadership during World War II and his exile to the United States.

Gallery IV (Ikalawang Digmaang Pandaidig sa Pilipinas

It tells the story of the rescuing of the Jews by Quezon; important events during World War II; life during the war; and the Guerilla Movement in the Philippines, 1942 – 1944.

Quezon’s Rifle Collection

As a soldier, Quezón was familiar with different weapons and on display here are some of the firearms in his collection:

  • A 1895 Winchester caliber 405 center fire hunting rifle (serial number 79418)
  • A 1913-1914 Parker Brothers double barrel 16 gauge shotgun (serial number 167904)
  • A 1937 Fábrica Nacional de Armas México 30 caliber Medoza Model C automatic rifle (serial number 2664)
  • A 1938 Fábrica Nacional de Armas México 30 caliber model 1934 carbine (serial number 22196).
  • A Moro lantaka(native cannon) which Pres. Quezón had picked up from his many visits to the island of Mindanao

Photos of Manila’s Ruins during the Second World War

Also on display are photos of Manila’s ruins during the World War II and a collection of World War II memorabilia such as a leather holster; an aluminum water flask; a military helmet; and a telegram Morse Code buzzer.

Military helmet

Haversack bag

Telegram Morse Code buzzer

Also on display are the military peak cap, shoulder bag (1945 US Navy combat field pack) and uniform of Gen. Carlos P. Rómulo (1899-1985) and the World War II shoulder bag used by Brig.-Gen. and future President Manuel Róxas (1892-1948).

Peaked Cap of Carlos P. Romulo

Military shoulder bag owned by Carlos P. Romulo

Military shoulder bags owned by Manuel Roxas

Gallery 5 (Pamana) relates the story on Quezon’s death due to tuberculosis on Aug. 1, 1944 in the US. From Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia, his remains were transferred to Manila North Cemetery in 1946 before it was moved to the Quezon Memorial Shrine on Aug. 1, 1979.

Gallery V (Pamana)

On display here are the following:

  • Philippine flag draped over the casket of Pres. Quezon when he died in 1944
  • Scroll with the photo of the Old City of Jerusalem
  • Token of Appreciation given by the Israel Defense Forces in gratitude for Quezon

Philippine flag that was draped over Quezon’s casket

Token of Appreciation and Scroll

The Galeria ni Doña Aurora Quezón, a dedicated gallery to Quezon’s wife, First Lady Aurora Aragon Quezon, is a replica of her bed room.

Galeriya ni Dona Aurora Quezon

This showroom displays Doña Aurora’s Atay bed (with squash decoration on every corner post) and sewing machine, her formal Filipiniana terno gowns, memorabilia of her travels abroad, hats, jewelry, several photographs, a painting of Doña Aurora and Pres. Quezón, and two busts by Isabelo L. Tampinco (1850-1933) and Eduardo De Los Santos Castrillo (1942-2016).

Tanggapan Ng Pangulong Quezon

The Tanggapan ng Pangulong Quezón has a replica of Manuel L. Quezon‘s presidential office (with Quezón’s actual desk and chairs from his office, as well as a display of the president’s golf clubs, hats, awards, briefcases, playing cards, and two sculptures of Quezón.  There is also a replica of his room in the Malinta Tunnel in the fortress island of Corregidor, where Pres. Quezón moved his cabinet and their families on the December 24, 1941, onboard the SS Mayon.

Malinta Tunnel

An audio-visual room presents a short documentary on the life of Pres. Manuel L. Quezon and the creation of the museum. The museum also features a hologram of Quezon delivering his inaugural speech as president;  interactive booths and terminals which edifies visitors regarding the Commonwealth era.

Audio-Visual Room

The museum also displays a number of paintings.  They include:

  • A 1939 portrait of Pres. Quezón and Vice-president Osmeña, with Inang Bayan promising hope to the Filipino people in the background. The artist of the painting was part of the “Insular Prisoners,” most likely those part of the prisoners being transferred to the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa.
  • The 1938 painting The Commonwealth by Antonio Gonzales Dumlao (1912-1983)
  • A 1939 portrait, by cartoonist and painter Rodolfo Fernando Dayao (1920-1991), of President Manuel Quezon based on his visit to the Philippine Military Academy (Camp Henry T. Allen, Baguio) in 1937.
  • A 1994 painting of the Quezon Memorial Shrine by Mardonio Aurora Cempron (born 1941). 
  • Jose T. Juco, Sr. painting of Pres. Quezón awarding the Philippine Army Medal of Valor to Major-Dr. Emigdio “Meding” Castor Cruz (1898-1978), who had volunteered to return to the Philippines via Australia and gather intelligence on Japanese positions in the country, from the May 3,1943 to February 28,1944.
  • A 1935 portrait, by Eduardo Arandia Salgado (born 1910), of Pres. Manuel L. Quezon wearing a barong tagalog (traditional shirt) and holding a salakot (native hat), while the figure of the Inang Bayan (motherland) floats behind him with the Philippine Flag

The Commonwealth (Antonio Gonzales Dumlao, 1938)

Portrait of Pres. Quezón and Vice-Pres. Osmeña

Quezon presents the Congressional Medal of Valor to Major Emigdio Cruz (Jose T. Juico, Sr., 1947)

Museo ni Manuel L. Quezon : Quezon Memorial Shrine, Quezon Memorial Circle, Elliptical Road, Diliman,  Quezon CityMetro Manila. Tel: (632) 8225-1861.  Mobile number: (0949) 568-5918.  E-mail: mmq@nhcp.gov.ph and museonimanuelquezon18@gmail.com.  Open Tuesdays to Saturdays, 8 AM to 4 PM.  Admission is free.  Coordinates: 14°39′05.1″N 121°02′57″E.