City of Ilagan Medical Center (Isabela)

City of Ilagan Medical Center (CIMC)

The Landbank-financed City of Ilagan Medical Center (CIMC), an enhanced 100-bed capacity hospital with a 2-level classification, is operated by the City Government of Ilagan and has been integral to the health of Ilagueños.  Due to its geographical location, it also caters to patients from neighboring towns and cities.

Hospital Lobby

Serving Ilagueños at the western part of the city, the construction of the City of Ilagan Medical Center started in August 2018. Initially intended to serve as a community isolation facility for Covid 19 patients, after its soft opening on April 4, 2021, when all the referral hospitals in the region have reached their 100% utilization, it accepted patients in critical condition when cases surged on March 2021.  Even its aisles were filled with Covid patients.  In one day alone, 780 patients suspected with Covid were admitted into the facility.

Farmers mural above hospital lobby

On August 11, 2021, the CIMC was formally opened by City Mayor Josemarie L. Diaz as one of the highlights during the celebration of the 9th Cityhood Anniversary of Ilagan and, on May 4, 2022, during the 336th Aggaw sa Ilagan celebration, the groundbreaking of the City of Ilagan Medical Arts Building, beside the CIMC, was held.  It will house medical clinics, for consultations, and stalls for Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).  Exactly one year later, the groundbreaking of the Physical Rehabilitation and Infectious Diseases Building, also beside the CIMC, was also held.

Inauguration plaque

For two years now, Mayor Diaz has been lobbying for the swift establishment of a Malasakit Center in the facility to lessen the burden of its indigent constituents, its opening and operations being dependent upon the approval of the Department of Health (DOH) which is the lead implementing agency.  Currently, doctor’s fees at the CIMC is being shouldered by the city government, with laboratory fees, medicine, among others, are paid for by patients.

Stairway

The CIMC hospital is the first health facility in the Cagayan Valley Region to received a triple International Standardization Organization (ISO) Certification – Quality Management System, Environmental Management System  and Occupational Health and Management System.

CT Scan Room

Laboratory

Now equipped with state-of-the-art medical facilities and equipment, it now provides advanced medical services such as:

  • Emergency Services
  • In-Patient Services
  • General Pedia Services
  • General Obstetrics and Gynecologic Services
  • General Surgical (Major and Minor) Services
  • Reconstructive Surgery
  • Dental Services
  • Endoscopy
  • Radiology
  • Hemodialysis.Unit Service
  • Laboratory and Microbiology Services
  • Pharmacy Services (24-Hour)
  • Dietary and Nutrition Service
  • Medical Social Services
  • Ambulance Conduction
  • Health Education and Promotion and Disease Prevention
  • Out-Patient Department Services
  • General Surgery -Consultation and Minor Surgery
  • Ophthalmology – Consultation
  • OLR-HNS – Consultation
  • General Medicine – Consultation
  • General OB-Gne – Consultation
  • OB-Pre-Natal and Post-Natal – Consultation
  • Pediatric – Consultation
  • Pedia Cardio
  • Pedia Pulmo
  • General Dentistry

It also has an intensive care unit, psychiatric unit, physical medicine and rehabilitation center and a blood bank.

Dental clinic

Treatment Room 1

The CIMC currently has 136 doctors, including neurologists, cardiologists, gastro encologists and infectious control specialists. Its current hospital director is Dr. Herbie M. Barrios.

Hemodialysis Department

Physical Therapy Room

City of Ilagan Medical Center: Delfin Albano-Mallig Rd., Brgy. Lullutan, 3300 City of Ilagan Isabela.  Mobile number: (0999) 993-2534 and (0939) 984-0708.  E-mail: cimc_admin@cityofilagan.gov.ph.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: The City of Ilagan is located 429.3 kms. (an 8-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 1-hour drive) from Cauayan City.

Regional Yarn Production and Innovation Center (City of Ilagan, Isabela)

Regional Yarn Production and Innovation Center

The morning of our third day in the City of Ilagan, we visited the Php40 million Regional Yarn Production and Innovation Center (RYPIC) within the City of Ilagan Campus of the Isabela State University.  The second of its kind in the country (the first RYPIC is located in Iloilo), it was launched on June 23, 2023 by the  Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Textile Research Institute (DOST-PTRI), the Isabela State University (ISU) – City of Ilagan Campus, the DOST-Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (DOST PCIEERD), DOST Region II, City of Ilagan, and the Province of Isabela.

InteriorThe establishment of the facility is aimed to strengthen the local textile ecosystem and bridge the gaps in textile supply chain by enabling the conversion of natural raw materials into spinnable fibers for yarns from blends of natural fibers including abaca, banana, bamboo and pineapple leaf, in combination with cotton.

The RYPIC Isabela is a micro-scale yarn-spinning facility that will aid in the development of the textile industry in Northern Luzon. The facility can produce 50 kgs. of yarn per day (8h) which translates to 270 m. of handloom woven (1 m. width) fabrics. One RYPIC may produce 13,200 kgs. of yarn per year which can be used to produce 36,000 m. of 60″ width fabrics for 24,000 pieces of a female blouse or 18,000 office barong tagalog.

Integrated Blow Card

Draw Frame

The center, under the DOST-GIA project “DOST Inclusive Innovation Textiles Empowering Lives Anew or i2TELA Program,” the first of its kind in Northern Luzon, processes the treated fibers from the Natural Textile Fiber Innovation Hub (NTFIH), in Luna, Apayao, and the Bamboo Textile Fiber Innovation Hub (BTFIH) in Cauayan City, Isabela, which are spun natural textile fiber-based yarns.

Speed Frame (Flyer Frame)

Ring Frame

The RYPIC aims to jumpstart local innovation ecosystems for the textile sector and cater to the requirements of micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in the fashion industry, the academe, and government institutions for yarns and fabrics using local raw materials, skills, and talents.  It serves as an innovation hub to promote textile research and development activities in a region, thus igniting economic activity in weaving communities across the country.

Single End Universal Sizing

Twisting

The center is run by the faculty and staff of the Isabela State University who underwent a five-day training, part of the capability-building component of the RYPIC north Luzon project under the “DOST–PTRI Inclusive Innovation TELA (Textile Empowering Lives Anew)” program, at the DOST-Philippine Textile Research Institute (PTRI) in Bicutan, Taguig, learning about textile raw materials and products, the process of textile manufacture, and techniques for testing and evaluating their common properties. They also gained knowledge and skills on how fibers are converted to yarns in the cotton system.

Winding

Finished Yarns Cotton, Cotton-Pineapple, Cotton-Bamboo and Cotton-Banana

During our visit, we observed, in action, the different equipment used in the yarn production.

  • Integrated Blow Card – a combination of blow room and carding machine designed, specifically for scaled-down spinning processes. This machine can function as a blow room. Raw fibers are opened, cleaned, mixed and transported to the carding machines, where mixed fibers are individually oriented and converted into rope-like strands called “slivers.” This is done through the carding action of three major components of the machine –licker-in, main cylinder and doffer.
  • Draw Frame – carded slivers go through between the top and bottom drafting rollers; dust and fly wastes are removed by a suction tube, improving the parallelism of the fibers to produce more even yarns. The combination of several carded slivers is called “doubling,” and its output is called a “drawn sliver.”
  • Speed Frame (Flyer Frame) – drawn slivers go through between the top and bottom drafting rollers, achieving its required weight to produce the “roving.” The roving material passes through the final drafting rollers, slight twist, enough to hold in the next process stage, is imparted.
  • Ring Frame – the roving passes through between the top and bottom rollers, to achieve the required yarn count or yarn number, imparting twist suitable for weaving and knitting, and wound into a bobbin for storage, transport and further processing. The output yarns are expressed, either as weight per unit length (direct system), or length per unit weight (indirect system).
  • Single End Universal Sizing – yarns, in cones, are imparted with size (starchy substance) through bathing, drying and rewinding into cones. The purpose of introducing size is to reduce the chances of threads fraying and breaking due to the friction in the weaving process.  The size stiffens the thread and holds the fibers closely together.
  • Twisting – an intermediate process in the manufacture of fabrics, no alteration is done to the material other than to twist one or more strands of yarn, placing the twisted yarn in suitable packaged form. Twisting compresses the fibers, reducing the size of the strand and adding strength to multiple ends when they are combined.
  • Winding – this machine has the capability to function as winder. Yarns, which emerges from the ring frame, are transferred into cone packages. The idea is to obtain a long, continuous length of yarn, for nonstop operation of weaving or knitting, regulate yarn tension and remove thick and thin yarns, slubs by means of a yarn monitoring device. 

After our tour of the facilities and prior to our departure, we interviewed Dr. Freddie O. Orperia, RYPIC Focal Person.

Dr. Freddie O. Orperia, RYPIC Focal Person

Regional Yarn Production and Innovation Center (RYPIC): Isabela State University, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela.

City Tourism Office: 2/F, City Hall Bldg., 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 624-1511. E-mail: tourism@cityofilagan.gov.ph.

City of Ilagan Tourist Information and Assistance Center: Bonifacio Park, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 324-7769.  E-mail: ilaganinfocenter@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: The City of Ilagan is located 429.3 kms. (an 8-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 1-hour drive) from Cauayan City.

Church of St. Rose of Lima (Gamu, Isabela)

Church of St. Rose of Lima

This church, constructed in 1738 by Fr. Martin Fernandez, OP, was, together with the convent, destroyed by the strong Intensity 6 earthquake on December 29, 1949. From 1950-1951, a wooden church was constructed, next to the ruins of the Spanish church. La Salette missionary, Fr. Maurice Cardenal, started the restoration of the Spanish church. In 1968, a new roof was constructed together with the flooring.

The Baroque-style, brick facade

In March 1978, CICM missionary Fr. John Couvreur, the 75th parish priest, completely renovated the interior of the church and, in March 1979, the ruins of the sacristy were restored and transformed into a week day chapel.  From 1950 to 1951, a new brick bell tower, in Spanish style, was built but was later dismantled and the recovered materials were used to build chapels in several barrios.  From the ruins of the convent, a multi-purpose hall and dormitory were put up for seminars and meetings.

The paired columns (round and square) flanking the main entrance

On June 24, 1993, the roof and ceiling of the church was destroyed by typhoon Goring.  It was restored, in a short time, and a beautiful ceiling was built.  The church houses a life-size image of the Peruvian nun Rose of Lima, the patron saint of embroidery, gardening, and cultivation of blooming flowers.

The National Museum historical plaque

On June 27, 2019, the National Museum of the Philippines and the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) recognized the church, and its surrounding complex, as an Important Cultural Property and, on May 12, 2023, a historical marker was installed. This church, as well as the Church of Our Lady of Atocha in Alicia, and the Church of Our Lady of the Pillar in Cauayan City, are examples of what is called as the “Cagayan Style” of Spanish churches that was inspired by the Tuguegarao church.

Check out Church of Our Lady of Atocha and Church of Our Lady of the Pillar

The modern interior

AUTHOR’S NOTES

The church’s Baroque-style, brick façade has a semicircular arch main entrance flanked by paired (one square and one round) pilasters, above which are semicircular arched windows, and semicircular arch niches for statues (currently empty).  The undulating pediment, capped by pinnacles, has a small, centrally located rose window.

On the church’s right is a three-storey, square bell tower, with receding storeys, semicircular arch blind window on the first storey, segmental arch open windows on the two upper storeys and a pyramidal roof.  On the church’s left is the brick convent which is now a multipurpose hall, used for seminars and meetings, and a dormitory.

The main altar and retablo

Church of St. Rose of Lima: Poblacion, 3301 GamuIsabela.  Mobile numbers: (0916) 680-3680 and (0936) 360-1064.   E-mail: srlgamu@zoho.com. Feast of St. Rose of Lima: August 23.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: Gamu is located 413.4 kms. (a 7.75-hour drive) from Manila and 21.5 kms.(a 30-min. drive) from the City of Ilagan.  The church is located in front of the town’s municipal hall.

Philippine Crocodile Conservation Center (San Mariano, Isabela)

The Visitors Center of the Philippine Crocodile Conservation Center

After our second visit to Meraki Garden in Reina Mercedes, a 29-km. (45-min.) drive brought us  to the Isabela State University campus in San Mariano where we were to visit the Philippine Crocodile Conservation Center (PCCC).  From the entrance, it was still a 750 m. walk to the center.  Inaugurated last April 19, 2022, the PCCC is a joint project of Isabela State University, the local government of San Mariano and the Mabuwaya Foundation, and supported by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and the Department of Tourism (DOT) which plays an important role in sustaining and promoting the project as a tourism destination.

Check out “Meraki Garden

Isabela State University

The remote rivers and wetlands of the town hosts one of only two viable wild sub-populations (the other is in Southwest Mindanao), of the endemic, Luzon-origin Philippine freshwater crocodile (Crocodylus mindorensis or burakot in the Ilocano tongue) which is classified as Critically Endangered on the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species and is not found anywhere else in the world. Close to extinction, less than 100 mature individuals remain in the wild, making the animal even more endangered than the Philippine eagle.

Philippine freshwater crocodile (Crocodylus mindorensis)

The Mabuwaya Foundation, a Filipino-Dutch non-government organization, works with local communities to conserve the remnant wild populations of the Philippine crocodile and its habitat. Apart from dedicated conservation and outreach programs (supported by luxury fashion brand Lacoste, founder Michel Lacoste even visited the park in 2012), they train community volunteers/sanctuary guards in Philippine crocodile monitoring activities and environmental law enforcement, thus becoming their partners in the field. Together with our community volunteers, they also assist in the recovery of the population of the Philippine crocodile by searching and protecting nests.

Holding pens

The PCCC was made possible through donations to the Mabuwaya Foundation and financial support from international zoos in Australia (Zoos Victoria) and Europe (ZSL London Zoo, Crocodiles of the World and Wild Discovery in the United Kingdom; La Ferme aux Crocodiles in France; Koln Zoo in Germany; Bergen Aquarium in Norway; The Blue Planet, Krokodille Zoo and Terrariet – Reptile Zoo in Denmark; Zagreb Zoo in Croatia; and Protivin Crocodile Zoo in the Czech Republic) that have the Philippine crocodile in their collection.

Hatchling crocodiles in the holding pens

The center consists of a Visitors Building and crocodile holding pens used to house adult crocodiles for the first conservation breeding program for the critically small population of Philippine crocodiles, and for wild-born hatchling crocodiles. Larger juvenile crocodiles raised in the center are then transferred to enclosures before they are released back into the wild to augment the critically small wild population of the rarest crocodile in the world and one of the rarest animals on the planet. The PCCC will play an important role in sustaining crocodile conservation activities in San Mariano and in generating income for communities conserving crocodiles.

Media team at the Visitors Center

The Visitors Building will be used for environmental education and as the gateway for visitors who want to explore the wilderness areas, of San Mariano and the Northern Sierra Madre Natural Park, to see Philippine crocodiles and many other rare endemic species in the wild.  A municipal rearing station, near the Pinacanauan River, was also established in Brgy. Mananga, where a significant population was discovered in 1999.

Dutch biologist Merlijn van Weerd (CEO of Mabuwaya Foundation)

During a briefing held at the Visitors Building, Dutch biologist Mr. Merlijn Van Weerd, Chief Executive Officer of Mabuwaya Foundation, highlighted that the area is not a zoo, but a conservation center and that Mabuwaya Foundation looks forward to make it a self-sustaining conservation center.  He also shared how the conservation of the Philippine Crocodile came into being. It started in 1999 but it was in 2001 when the sanctuary in San Mariano, Isabela was declared as the first Philippine Crocodile Sanctuary in the Philippines and the first community crocodile sanctuary in the world.

Ms. Marites Gatan-Balbas

Ms. Marites “Tess” Gatan-Balbas, Chief Operating Officer of the Mabuwaya Foundation, said that this reclusive and nonaggressive endemic species is nationally protected and because of its relatively small size (most adults measure five feet in length, with some known to reach maximum lengths of 10 feet), it does not pose a threat to people, as compared to the more common and larger Indo-Pacific saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus), the other crocodile species in the Philippines, which most people are familiar with.

The author with a juvenile croc

According to Tess, even though Philippine crocodiles are too small to be man-eaters, they have a very bad image in the Philippines as they were regarded as pests and a threat to livestock and humans. They are even associated with corrupt politicians. The population of this species is very small due to habitat loss, hunting and killing out of fear. However, the Philippine crocodile was not always hated as indigenous communities revered, and sometimes still do, this species as a protector of forest spirits or even as their ancestors or twins. Philippine folklore has lots of stories about mythical crocodiles, often portraying the species in a positive way. The general message of many of these stories is: if you don’t harm the crocodile, the crocodile will not harm you.

Hatchling crocodiles

 

The Philippine crocodile, the key predator in wetland ecosystems and an indicator of healthy natural river systems, is as much part of the natural and cultural heritage of the Philippines as the Philippine eagle or the Philippine tarsier. Though nationally protected by virtue of the Republic Act 9147 (the Wildlife Resources Conservation and Protection Act of 2001), enforcement of this law is, however, very weak, and Philippine crocodiles remain severely threatened in the Philippines.

Skeleton of a Philippine crocodile

After the briefing, we proceeded to the holding pens to observe the actual crocodiles, seeing one mature crocodile and a number of hatchlings.   With the supervision of the caretakers, some of us handled the crocodile hatchlings.

 

Philippine Crocodile Conservation Center: Isabela State University-San Mariano Campus, San Mariano, Isabela.  Mobile numbers (0917) 50-0558 (Ms. Corazon M. Pua – Community Affairs Officer) and (0920) 974-2379 (Ms. Marites Gatan-Balbas).  Visits to the rearing staion or the crocodile sanctuarieswithin the park must be arrange at the municipal hall.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com. 

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com. 

How To Get There: San Mariano is located 432.8 kms. (an 8-hour drive) from Manila, 35 kms. (a 45-min. drive) from the City of Ilagan and 40.6 kms. (a 55-min. drive) from Cauayan City.  The junction to San Mariano lies between the cities of Cauayan and Ilagan and the town of Naguilian. Alight at the junction, and hail a passing jeepney (from Ilagan or Cauayan) for the final 20-km. stretch to San Mariano, via Benito Soliven.

Museo de San Luis (Cauayan City, Isabela)

Museo de San Luis

The Museo de San Luis, inaugurated last October 9, 2022, is housed in a one-storey, wooden structure with a wrap-around porch, within the Hacienda San Luis Eco-Tourism Park.  It showcases how tobaccos were made for the Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade.

 Check out “Hacienda San Luis Eco-Tourism Park 

Museum porch

Museum interior. At the center is a manual, iron tobacco bale press used in 1970

On display here is a huge sculpture of St. Louis Bertrand (San Luis  Bertran), a photo gallery of Cauayan’s 27 mayors, from 1900 to the present; a traditional wooden press for cigar making (people use the apparatus to flatten the dried tobacco leaves); wooden relief carvings of Cauayan’s indigenous people, male and female (Gaddangs, Ibanags, Yogads and Itaois) mounted on easels; a manual tobacco bale press used in 1970; a butaka (a chair with long armrests); a tobacco hogshead (a large wooden barrel used to store and transport tobacco); and framed La Flor de la Isabela posters mounted on the walls.

Statue of St. Louis Bertrand (1526-1581; Luis Beltrán). He was a Spanish Dominican priest who preached in South America during the 16th century, and is known as the “Apostle of the Americas.”

Traditional wooden press for cigar making and a tobacco hogshead

Diorama of Cauayan – The Ideal City of the North in the New Millenium

Also mounted on two glass display cases are the different kinds of cigars produced – Coronas, Corona Large, Double Robusto, Panatelas, Half Coronas, Native Coronas with Head, Higantes Double Head Small, Triple Rebusto Long, Imperiales, Higantes Double Head Long, Cortados, Higantes and Panatelas Largas.

The handcrafted butaka, usually measuring 70 cms. x 57 cms. x 118 cms. and made of narra hardwood, has long armrests that weren’t really meant for arms; they were used for legs. During the Spanish era, it was commonly called the “lazy chair” of rich families. After a day’s work in the fields, hacienderos sat on the butaka as their resting chair. It was also used as a home style birthing bed, the rests passing for the more modern stirrups we have now at birthing hospitals. The chair’s style is Luis Quince-style sillon peresoza, common among lounging chairs found in Spanish Colonial Era in the Philippines. The seat is double caned ovate-shaped back with scroll arms with extended armrest on slightly curved stumps.

Different kinds of cigars produced

Wooden relief carving of an Itaois male and female

At the center of the rooms are five dioramas, in glass showcases, depicting the history and growth of Cauayan – Calanusian – Ang Unang Cauayan, Cauayan – Isang Bayan sa Lalawigan ng Isabela, La Flor de IsabelaCauayan sa Panahon ng Commonwealth and Cauayan – The Ideal City of the North in the New Millenium.

 

La Flor de Isabela posters

Museo San Luis: Hacienda de San Luis Eco-Tourism Park,  Brgy. San Luis, Cauayan City.  Tel: (078) 652-2017.  Mobile numbers: (0905) 390-1255 and (0926) 204-4429.  Open daily, 7 AM – 8 PM.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com. 

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com. 

How to Get There: Cauayan City is located 394.8 kms. (a 7.5-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 45-min. drive) from the City of Ilagan.

Hacienda de San Luis Eco-Tourism Park (Cauayan City, Isabela)

Hacienda de San Luis Eco-Tourism Park

Hacienda de San Luis Eco-Tourism Park, the first eco-tourism park in Cauayan City, gives a flashback of what Cauayan City was in 1740 as well as the city’s indigenous people’s (Gaddang, Ibanag, Itaois and Yogad) culture.

La Flor de Isabela Function Hall (forner tabacalera warehouse)

 

Function hall interior

The park is home to the Museo de San Luis, the Cagayan Valley Regional Science Centrum, the La Flor de Isabela Function Hall and the Gawa-Gawayan Museum.

 

Here is the historical timeline of the hacienda:

  • In 1887, a portion of Barrio Mabantad, of about 3,940 hectares, was acquired, for 22,000 pesos, by the Compaña Casal owned by Mr. Antonio Casal. Mr. Federico Corea was appointed as the first administrator of the hacienda. Mr. Corea, named the locality as San Luis, after Saint Louis BertrandO.P.(1526-1581; Luis Beltrán), a Spanish Dominican who preached in South America during the 16th century, and is known as the “Apostle of the Americas.” The population of the hacienda grew and the area was converted into a formal barrio of Cauayan.
  • In 1909, the compaña expanded the area of the hacienda with the purchase of 19 hectares from Mrs. Engracia Maragun de Lacaste.
  • In 1910, another 540 hectares were bought from the government (Friar Lands Estate).
  • In 1913, the first administration building stood in the Cabeceria Especial (the poblacion of San Luis) was razed to the ground by fire. In its place, a more spacious building was constructed. In time, when the compañaacquired enormous business footing, other big buildings were constructed.
  • In 1923, the Catholic Church was erected. A school building was also constructed to provide the farmers’ children their elementary education with Mr. Pio Tominez as the first teacher.
  • During the Japanese Occupation, the headquarters of the 1st Batallion, 7th Infantry of the 34th Division Guerilla Unit, Isabela Area, was established here. Houses in Cabeceria No. 3 were burned, in punitive actions, by the Japanese.
  • On October 9, 2015, Hacienda San Luis was inaugurated as the first eco-tourism park in Cauayan City. 

Museo de San Luis

The Museo de San Luis, open last October 9, 2022, showcases how tobaccos were made for the Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade. The one-storey, former tabacalera (tobacco warehouse) is now the La Flor de Isabela Function Hall, an events place. 

Check out “Museo de San Luis

Gawa-Gawayan Museum

The one-storey Gawa-Gawayan Museum exhibits Gawa-Gawayan Festival memorabilia such as the Festival King Queen costumes, designed by Bonsai Cielo, of John Paul Domingo and Sue Francesca Galingana; headdresses; hats and the 4 x 8 ft. Bamboo de Cauayan, the Bambanti Festival 20019 grand champion  in the agricultural booth category.

Bamboo de Cauayan

2019 Bambanti Festival King and Queen Costumes

Also within the grounds is the two-storey Cagayan Valley Regional Science Centrum (CVRSC), which children will find enjoyable.  Inaugurated last January 28, 2020,

Cagayan Valley Regional Science Centrum

It aims to promote awareness and appreciation of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).  It houses four interactive science exhibits – Science Adventure, Science at Work, Science Sparks and Health Science.  Its exhibits include an Anti-Gravity Mirror and a Van de Graff Static Ball.

Zipline Towe

The park also has a picnic area, a rappelling and climbing wall plus a 250 m. long and 9.15 m. (30 ft.) high zipline where you can get a majestic view of Cagayan River.  Other activities offered here are biking and horseback riding.

Horseriding Stables

Hacienda de San Luis Eco-Tourism Park:  Brgy. San Luis, Cauayan City.  Tel: (078) 652-2017.  Mobile numbers: (0905) 390-1255 and (0926) 204-4429.  Open daily, 7 AM – 8 PM.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com. 

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com. 

How to Get There: Cauayan City is located 394.8 kms. (a 7.5-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 45-min. drive) from the City of Ilagan.

Bonsai No Sato Park and Resort (Cauayan City, Isabela)

Bonsai No Sato Park and Resort

The peaceful and relaxing Bonsai No Sato Park and Resort, a botanical garden in Cauayan City, features an ever growing collection of over 300 exquisite bonsai trees, some on sewing machine stands.

Its owner, Ms. Librada Gatan-Africano, a retired school teacher, has been fascinated by bonsai, the Japanese art of growing and shaping miniature trees,  since 1986.

Ms. Librada Gatan-Africano

The grounds are also planted with colorful flowers, celosias (Konnichiwa Flower Garden), tall and graceful bamboo, fruit trees, ornamental plants, melons and strawberries. Every spot in Bonsai No Sato, is Instagram-worthy.

Events Center

It also has an events center, for weddings, birthdays, and meetings, which can accommodate 400 guests.  The Japanese Village has a kominka built using traditional Japanese architectural methods.

Its Kissaten Restaurant offers halo-halo (Php150),  fresh from the farm fruit shakes, classy yet delicious pansit bihon and their bestseller Bonsai No Sato Pizza.

The Farmhouse

The garden also has a kiosks, two swimming pools, and picnic huts (Php300).  For children, there’s also a playground, trampoline, inflatable island, bikes and electric go karts.

The long-lived and slow-growing sampalok (tamarind, Tamarindus indica) tree, a great outdoor bonsai, is prized as a bonsai due to the very attractive rough bark that it develops.

The popular Argao (or Alagao) Taiwan (Premna microphylla), one of the easiest bonsai trees to culture, was imported to the country from Taiwan, by bonsai growers from Luzon, sometime in the 1980s and 1990s.

Tugas (Vitex parviflora), also called the Smallflower Chastetree or the molave tree, is a favorite bonsai specimen inthe country due to its relatively pliant stems, ease of propagation, tolerance to harsh climatic conditions and its gnarled and twisted trunks.

Every Thursday to Sunday and holidays, eat-all-you-can grilled food (pork, chicken, fish, Php299) is offered from AM to 9 PM. A live band plays every weekend.

For overnight stays, they have a Japanese villa (standard, family, Php1,900-3,600) and farmhouse with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room, dining room and a kitchen for Php10,000 (Php12,000 with exclusive pool).

The author at Konnichiwa Flower Garden

Bonsai No Sato Park and Resort: Brgy. Faustino, Cauayan City.  Mobile numbers: (0945) 572-9401, (0960) 293-2262 and (0956) 068-2101.  E-mail: klengguimbarda@yahoo.com.   Open daily (except Mondays), 9 AM – 8 PM (9 PM, Fridays to Sundays).  Admission: Php50.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: Cauayan City is located 394.8 kms. (a 7.5-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 45-min. drive) from the City of Ilagan.  The park is located beside Villa Virgilia Resort.

National Shrine of Our Lady of the Visitation of Guibang (Gamu, Isabela)

National Shrine of Our Lady of Visitation of Guibang

This pilgrimage site, the Philippines’ eighth national shrine (declared as such on February 13, 1986), is the only national shrine in the northern Ecclesiastical Province of Tuguegarao, comprising the Tuguegarao archdiocese and the Diocese of Ilagan and Bayombong.

It is consecrated to the miraculous pilgrim image of Blessed Virgin Mary of Guibang which was episcopally crowned, by the Most Rev. Carmine Rocco, Papal Nuncio to the Philippines, on May 26, 1973 at the former St. Ferdinand Cathedral (now St. Ferdinand Parish Church) in the City of Ilagan.

Historical Plaque

 

The original 750 sq. m. shrine, built in 1726, had a unique façade of layered bricks and stone.  In December 2018, construction of a larger, 1,100 sq. m. church, which can hold around 750 seats and a full-standing area capacity of around 1,200 people, began on the same location.

The church interior

While the construction was ongoing, liturgical services and devotional activities were held in the adjacent Poor Clare Monastery.

Main altar and retablo

The newly rebuilt and larger pilgrim church was blest and dedicated, by Papal nuncio Archbishop Charles Brown, on February 3, 2023. The church comes alive on July 2 of every year when religious pilgrims from all walks of life come to offer prayers of good health, peace, abundance and good voyage among many other intentions.

Miraculous image of Our Lady of Visitation of Guibang

National Shrine of Our Lady of the Visitation of Guibang: National Highway, Brgy. Guibang, 3301 Gamu, Isabela.  Mobile numbers: (0920) 503-311 and (0915) 499-1058. E-mail: ourladyofguibang@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: Gamu is located 413.4 kms. (a 7.75-hour drive) from Manila and 21.5 kms.(a 30-min. drive) from the City of Ilagan.

Camp Vizcarra Ecology Park (Ramon, Isabela)

Camp Vizcarra Ecology Park

A short, 10-min. drive from Magat Dam, in Ramon town, is the sprawling 30-hectare, peaceful Camp Vizcarra Ecology Camp, a leisure resort and tourist spot, named after the late Angelito F. Vizcarra (the town’s first mayor), connected through the Magat River.

Check out “Magat Dam”

The raging waters, released by the power plant flow from the Magat Hydroelectric Power Plant

Here, you can observed the lush landscape and raging waters of the Magat River, released by the power plant flow from the Magat Hydroelectric Power Plant, from its enchanting, 4-ft. wide steel-wire suspension footbridge, its deck hung below suspension cables on two vertical concrete pylons. Also crossing the river is a nearby concrete bridge.

The 4-ft. wide steel-wire suspension footbridge

Azrael, Ann, Lei, Leony, Jeremae and the author at the footbridge

After crossing the footbridge , a 1,000-step concrete stairway leads up to Mary Hill.

Picnic huts along the riverbank

The two-storey Ecology Hall

Along the way is a gazebo, where you’ll have a birds-eye view of the lush surroundings and the river and, further up, a grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes, where one can pray.

The author (wearing green shirt) crossing the bridge with the others

The park also has cottages, an administration building, a children’s playground, picnic huts (Riverside Hall), the two-storey Ecology Hall and a campsite for Boy and Girl Scout jamborees.

Anne, Patrick, Leony, Lei and Jeremae at the he 1,000-step concrete stairway

View of the river and the Ecology Hall from the gazebo

In the future, a zipline will be built connecting Camp Vizcarra to Magat Dam.

Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes

Camp Vizcarra Ecology Camp: Brgy. Gen. Aguinaldo, 3319 Ramon, Isabela.  Admission: Php5.  Coordinates: 16°49’7″N 121°28’11″E.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: Ramon is located 362.5 kms. (a 7.5-hour drive) from Manila, 64.8 kms. (a one hour and 25-min. drive) from the City of Ilagan and 39.9 kms. (a one-hour drive) from Cauayan City.

Magat Dam (Ramon, Isabela and Alfonso Lista, Ifugao)

Magat Dam

The multi-purpose Magat Dam,  the second largest dam in the Philippines (after the 200-m. high, 1.2-km. long San Roque Dam along the Agno River), is a large rock-fill dam (it consists of 3.1 kms. of rock fill) located along the Magat River, the largest tributary of the Cagayan River (the longest river in the Philippines), used primarily for irrigating about 85,000 hectares (210,000 acres) of agricultural lands, flood control, and power generation through the Magat Hydroelectric Power Plant (the water stored in the reservoir is enough to supply about two months of normal energy requirements).

Magat River

The dam, located approximately 350 kms. (220 mi.) north of Metro Manila, is situated within the boundaries of Namillangan, Alfonso ListaIfugao and RamonIsabela. The Magat River has an estimated yearly water discharge of 9,808 million cu. m. and an approximate crest length of 4,160 m. (13,650 ft.), with its headwaters in the province of Nueva Vizcaya and its confluence, with the Cagayan River, in the province of Isabela. Nearby is the Camp Vizcarra Ecology Park.

Check out “Camp Vizcarra Ecology Park

The author at Magat Dam

Here’s the historical timeline of the dam’s construction:

  • In 1973, the National Irrigation Administration(NIA), with the assistance of the United States Bureau of Reclamation (USBR) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), conducted preliminary studies on this multipurpose project. Subsequent detailed and extensive dam site investigation and engineering studies further confirmed the feasibility of NIA’s most daring infrastructure project
  • On May 7, 1975, then President Ferdinand E. Marcos signed Presidential Decree No/ 693 authorizing the construction of th dam and appurtenant structures.
  • In 1978, construction of the Magat Dam started.
  • On October 27, 1982, the dam was inaugurated by Marcos
  • In 1983, the dam started operations.
  • In 2001, after the passage of the Electric Power Industry Reform Act of 2001 (Republic Act 9136), the Magat hydroelectric power plant underwent a privatizationprocess.
  • On January 2006, then President Gloria Macapagal Arroyoinstructed various government agencies to create a rehabilitation plan to improve the lifespan of the dam system.
  • In 2006, SN Power, a Norwegian firm, won the bidding for the plant’s ownership and operation.
  • In April 2007, the National Power Corporation(NAPOCOR) turned over the ownership and management of the hydroelectric plant to SN Aboitiz Power-Magat, Inc. (SNAP-Magat), a joint venture of a local company, Aboitiz Power Corporation (AP), and SN Power.  The National Irrigation Administration (NIA) still owns, operates and manages the non-power components such as the dam, reservoir, and intake gates.
  • In 2009, SN Aboitiz Power-Magat, Inc.began the half-life refurbishment of the Magat Hydroelectric Power Plant  to ensure that the power plant facility remains available throughout its life span
  • In June 2014, the plant’s refurbishment was completed.
  • On November 9, 2020, prior to Typhoon Ulysses’ (internationally known as Typhoon Vamco) landfall, the National Irrigation Administration warned residents of Cagayan and Isabela of Magat Dam’s water release.
  • On November 11, 2020, Typhoon Ulysses  crossed the country, forcing the Magat Dam to release large amounts of water into their impounds. At 24 m., it neared their spilling point, and the dam opened all of its 7 gates, releasing over 5,037 cu. m. (1,331,000 US gal.) of water into the Cagayan River, resulting to numerous riverside towns experienced massive flooding. Waters under the Buntun Bridgewent up as high as 13 m., flooding the nearby barangays up to the roofs of houses.  As a result of the catastrophe, the NIA said that it will review its protocols regarding the release of water in Magat Dam and improve its watershed.
  • On June June 27, 2019, SNAP inaugurated a Php24 million floating solar project, on a 2,500 sq. m. area, consisting of 732 solar panels in a 52 m. floating ring.
  • In 2024, the power plant was augmented by a 24 MW battery.

Entrance to SN Aboitiz Power-Magat, Inc. (SNAP-Magat) compound

Southeast Asia‘s first large multipurpose dam, the 114 m. (374 ft.) high dam is also one of Asia’s biggest dams today. The dam, jointly financed by the Philippine Government and the World Bank (which extended a US$150M loan to finance the foreign exchange requirement), was part of the Magat River Multipurpose Project (MRMP) whose purpose is to improve on the existing Magat River Irrigation System (MARIS) and to triple the production of rice in the Cagayan River basin.

The Alfonso Lista (Ifugao) boundary marker

 

Industry-generated tourist boats on Magat Dam Lake

With the addition of a US$9M loan from Bahrain (obtained for the purchase of other equipment for the diversion tunnel, soil laboratory and model testing), the total project cost reached US$3.4B (6.5 billion pesos) in 1975.

Magat Hydroelectric Power Plant

The SNAP floating solar project which has the capacity to generate 200 KW of electricity for the SNAP-Magat facilities

The dam was constructed to last for 50 years but increased siltation and sedimentation in the in the Magat River system reservoir, due to slash-and-burn farming, illegal logging,  fish-caging and the July 16, 1990 Luzon earthquake, resulted in the deterioration of the dam’s watershed.

Water pipes, known as penstocks, that direct water to the hydro turbines.

 

The 500 m. (1,600 ft.) long and 164 m. (538 ft.) wide spillway has 7 sets of radial gates, 2 sets of orifice gates and a discharge capacity of 30,600 cu. m. There are 2 diversion tunnels with a diameter of 2 m. (6.6 ft.) and an average length of 630 m. (2,070 ft.).  The 11.7 sq. km. (4.5 sq. mi.) reservoir has a storage capacity, at full supply level (FSL), of 1.08 billion cu. m., an elevation, at FSL, of 193 masl, a minimum supply level at 160 masl and a maximum flood level at 193 masl.

The Magat hydroelectric power plant, a peaking power plant (it only operates when there is a high demand for electricity in the Luzon power grid, to which the plant is connected), has an installed capacity of 360 megawatts (it is designed to accommodate two more units that will allow it to generate up to 540 megawatts), four turbines ( Francis vertical shaft) and four 90 MW vertical synchronous generators. It is capable of providing ancillary services for the stability of the grid.

Media group at Magat Dam

Magat Dam:  Brgy. Namillangan, Alfonso Lista, Ifugao and RamonIsabela. Coordinates: 16°49′30″N 121°27′14″E.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com. 

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com. 

How to Get There: Ramon is located 362.5 kms. (a 7.5-hour drive) from Manila, 64.8 kms. (a one hour and 25-min. drive) from the City of Ilagan and 39.9 kms. (a one-hour drive) from Cauayan City. The dam is connected, by an all-weather road, to San Mateo–Santiago Road, at Oscariz, Ramon, Isabela.  Tricycles, from Ramon, can take you to the dam.