St. Peter’s Anglican Church (Melbourne, Australia)

St. Peter’s Anglican Church

St. Peter’s Church, an Anglican parish church on Eastern Hill in the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne, is located opposite St Patrick’s Cathedral, the Roman Catholic cathedral, and the Eastern Hill Fire Station. The parish is well known as belonging to the Anglo-Catholic or High Church tradition.

Check out “St. Patrick’s Cathedral

Here’s the historical timeline of the church:

  • On June 18, 1846, the foundation stone of the church was laid by Charles La Trobe, Superintendent of the Port Phillip District.
  • In 1847, the building was first used for services even though the first part was not completed.
  • On February 13, 1848, the letters patent of Queen Victoria declaring the city status of Melbourne were read on the steps of St Peter’s.
  • On August 6, 1848, the church was formally opened. The initial church constructed was brick, with stone facings, and had a shingled roof.
  • In 1854, the building was enlarged to designs by architect Charles Vickers, with the nave increased in length (to bring its seating capacity up to 1050), the transepts with galleries and a chancel added, and the shingles roof replaced with slate.
  • In 1876, Leonard Terry carried out alterations including an enlarged chancel, an added vestry, and a baptistery, with the new chancel opened on June 29, 1876.
  • In December 1876, work continued with five stained glass windows by Ferguson and Urie added to the chancel.
  • In 1897, repairs and alterations were carried out by Walter Butler of Butler and Inskip which included installation of gas lines and Tobin tubes for ventilation, removal of the transept galleries, and a new layout of pews to include a central and two side aisles.
  • From 1927-29, further alterations took place including installation of timber paneling in the transepts and chancel, and installation of a choir screen by Louis Williams.
  • In 1945, a stained glass window, designed by Napier Waller to commemorate the New Guinea mission (and the eleven Anglican martyrs) and to mark the centenary, was installed in the north transept. A second Waller window in the south transept was subsequently added.
  • In March 1974, the current organ (the church’s third) was constructed and completed by George Fincham and Son Pty Ltd.

St Peter’s is the oldest Anglican church standing on its original site in the inner city area. St. Peter’s Eastern Hill precinct is also of architectural significance for its association with a successive number of prominent Melbourne architects who contributed to the development of the church precinct: Charles Laing (designed tower and brick and stucco section), Charles Vickers, Leonard Terry, William Pitt, Walter Butler, Louis Williams, and Alexander North. The group of buildings forms a picturesque precinct.

The substantially intact vicarage and school are early examples of William Pitt’s work while St. Peter’s Hall is the first work in Victoria of Tasmanian émigré architect Alexander North who specialized in church architecture. The New Guinea windows, in the north transept, are of historical significance for their representation of the eleven Anglican martyrs.

As a schoolgirl, the opera singer Nellie Melba had organ lessons at the church while the novelist Henry Handel Richardson worshiped at St Peter’s and fictionalized this part of her life in an episode in “The Getting of Wisdom.”

Historical plaque of church

St Peter’s is also renowned for the quality of its music. The Choir of St Peter’s Eastern Hill, a volunteer mixed choir (that leads the church’s liturgical music every Sunday as well as for weekday feasts), is conducted by Andrew Raiskums.

Opposite the church is the Cross of Sacrifice, a 6 ft. high bronze statue of a crucified Christ on a sandstone pedestal which commemorates the 366 young men and women from the Anglican Church of St. Peter who served in World War I.

Cross of Sacrifice

It was unveiled On March 16, 1924 by the Governor-General Lord Forster and blessed by the Archbishop Lees (Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne).

Plaque of cross

St. Peter’s Church: corner of Albert and Gisborne Sts., Melbourne, Victoria,

National Shrine of St. Michael and the Archangels (Manila)

National Shrine of St. Michael and the Archangels

The century-old National Shrine of St. Michael and the Archangels, also known as San Miguel Church or Malacañang Church (as it adjoins the Malacañang Palace complex, the official residence of the President of the Republic of the Philippines), is located on the former site of La Fábrica de Cerveza de San Miguel (now San Miguel Brewery).

The church’s Neo-Classical facade

This Catholic church of the Latin Rite is dedicated to the seven archangels who fought against the Lucifer, the fallen angel who rebelled against God – Saint MichaelSaint GabrielSaint RaphaelSaint UrielSaint SelatielSaint Jhudiel, and Saint Barachiel.

An archangel is supposedly assigned to a person depending on the day he is born – St. Gabriel for Monday, St. Raphael for Tuesday, St. Uriel for Wednesday, St. Sealtiel for Thursday, St. Jhudiel for Friday, St. Barachiel for Saturday and St. Michael for Sunday.

Historical plaque

Here are some interesting trivia regarding this church:

  • It is the only shrine in the whole world dedicated to the aforementioned seven archangels
  • As it almost next door to the most important address in the country, a number of presidents have heard Mass at the shrine – Carlos P. GarcíaGloria Macapagal-Arroyo (usually accompanied by her husband Mike Arroyo) and Fidel V. Ramos (who is not even Catholic but Protestant). Then-Ilocos Norte Representative (and later President) Ferdinand E. Marcos also married then-beauty queen Imelda Romuáldez in the shrine (at that time a pro-cathedral) on May 1, 1954. Their wedding, tagged as the “Wedding of the Year,” followed almost two weeks of courtship.  President Ramon Magsaysay stood as Principal Sponsor.
  • Unlike most Catholic churches in the country that are usually overflowing with parishioners on Sundays, the prominent location of this church seems not to entice parishioners to hear Mass here. St. Michael only has about 1,500 parishioners, some of whom are descended from old-rich families (who were the benefactors of the church) in San Miguel District (most of these families, however, left this district during Marcos’ time).  One reason churchgoers might be staying away is the abundance of checkpoints all over the Malacañang Complex.
  • It only holds three Masses on Sundays – two in the morning and only one in the evening.
  • The national shrine is also, notably, the only Catholic church in the country where priests (instead of bishops) are canonically permitted to administer the sacrament of Confirmation twice a week (on Thursdays and Sundays).
  • A few blocks away is the National Shrine of St. Jude Thaddeus, the patron saint of desperate cases
  • Among those buried in San Miguel are Don Enrique M. Barreto (founder of San Miguel Brewery) and Don Domingo Roxas (patriarch of the Zóbel-de Ayala-Roxas-Soriano clans). Archbishop Gabriel M. Reyes, the Archdiocese of Manila’s first Filipino ordinary (served from 1949 to 1952), was initially buried in the shrine before his remains were transferred to the crypt of Manila Cathedral.

The church has a Neo-Classical façade with a semicircular arched main entrance and windows, a rose window at the second level and flanking, symmetrical bell towers with melon-shaped domes topped by turrets.

The church’s interior

Here is the historical timeline of the church:

  • In 1637, San Miguel Church was first built in stone by the Jesuits, along the left bank of the Pasig river (where the Tabacalera,  Mirador Hotel and the old PCSO office are now located) in Paco, Manila (formerly known as Dilao).
  • During the 1645 Luzon earthquake, the church was damaged.
  • In 1779, a provisional church, along the north bank of the Pasig River, was started by Fr. Malo de Molina.
  • In 1783, it was transferred to its present site and placed under the jurisdiction of the Quiapo Parish.
  • In 1835, the first church on this site was built by Franciscan Fr. Esteban Mena
  • In 1852, after an earthquake, Fr. Francisco Febres repaired the church and rebuilt the destroyed bell tower.
  • During the July 19, 1880 earthquake, the church was destroyed.
  • In 1886, the church and its bell towers were repaired by Fr. Emilio Gago.
  • In 1913, the church was rebuilt by Fr. Hipolito Arce (parish priest from 1900 – 1940), through the generous assistance of Doña Margarita Róxas de Ayala, on its present site and inaugurated on September 29, 1913.
  • From 1946 till December 8, 1958, following the city’s destruction in World War II, the church was designated as the pro-cathedral of the Archdiocese of Manila by Monsigñor Michael O’Doherty while Manila Cathedral was being rebuilt.
  • On February 22, 1986, the church was elevated to the rank of National Shrine by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), with Ricardo Cardinal Vidal of the Archdiocese of Cebu and Papal Nuncio Bruno Torgigliani in attendance.  The CBCP made the decision via de jure, citing the church’s rich history.

Its main altar, built with fine wood and stately marble and designed by Fr. Ramon Dodero, an Opus Dei priest, in 1985, is a replica of the old altar built in 1800.  It has a statue of St. Michael crushing the enemy, in the center, with the other six archangels flanking him.

In front of the church is the beautiful 12-ft. high bronze statue of St. Michael in his traditional pose, triumphantly looming over a dragon (Satan). Done by renowned Filipino sculptor Florante “Boy” Caedo, it was blessed in September 29, 1984 by Papal Nuncio Bruno Torpigliani with His Eminence Jaime Cardinal L. Sin, D.D. and Col. Antonio Cabangon Chuas as unveilers.

Bronze statue of St. Michael the Archangel

National Shrine of St. Michael and the Archangels: 1000 Jose Laurel St. cor. General Solano St., San Miguel district, Manila, Metro Manila.  Tel: (632) 735-1611 and 734-1271.  Fax: (632) 736-1105.

Diocesan Shrine of the Divine Mercy (Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte)

Diocesan Shrine of the Divine Mercy

We still had extra time for some sightseeing prior to our Cebu Pacific flight back to Manila so, on our drive to Dipolog Airport from Sindangan, we made a short stopover at the Diocesan Shrine of the Divine Mercy.  Before we drove up the hill, we already espied the Statue of the Virgin Mary along the highway.

Entering the chapel

The interior of the chapel

Stairs lead to the foot of the Statue of the Virgin Mary, located on another mountain below the Divine Mercy Shrine, while another flight of stairs lead directly to the Divine Mercy Shrine.  An arch along the highway marked the entrance to the shrine. The shrine, administered by Rev. Fr. Danilo Alpuerto, was declared as one of the pilgrim spot for the 2015-2016 Jubilee Year of Mercy.

Statue of the Virgin Mary

The shrine has a whitewashed chapel with the words “Jesus I Trust in You,” “Jesus Misalig Ako Kanimo” (Cebuano translation) and “Jesu Ufam Tobie” (Polish translation) painted into the upper façade. To the left of the chapel is a tower with a square base and octagonal upper storeys with a cross on top of the pointed roof.

The tower on the chapel’s left

Inside the chapel are walls of clear glass panels, which afford a scenic view of the ocean, while above them are stained glass windows. On the flanks of the chapel are outdoor shrines, with boxes for petitions or prayers, dedicated to the Divine Mercy and Sister Maria Faustina Kowalska, Polish nun who inspired the Roman Catholic devotion to the Divine Mercy and earned her the title of “Secretary of Divine Mercy.” There is also a statue of the St. Michael the Archangel and the Virgin Mary on a boat.

Outdoor shrine dedicated to Sister Faustina Kowalska

Outdoor shrine dedicated to the Divine Mercy

A flight of stairs lead to the chapel’s roof deck with railings where the huge statue of the Divine Mercy is located.

Statue of the Divine Mercy

The deck has a panoramic view of the expanse of mountains at the rear and the verdant lowlands and blue ocean in front.

Panoramic view of the verdant lowlands and ocean

There’s also a “Healing Walk,” leading down from the shrine, where you are required to observe silence and remove your footwear to enter.  A sign quotes Exodus 3:5 – “Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.”

The Healing Walk

Along the way are rows of statues of 30+ saints and the Gethsemane Garden with its statue of a kneeling Jesus Christ.

Alcove with statues of saints

Also within the shrine is a candle gallery, the shrine office, a souvenir shop and public toilets. 

Statue of a kneeling Jesus Christ at the Gethsemane Garden

Diocesan Divine Mercy Shrine: Siari Hills, Brgy. Siari, Regional Highway Dipolog – Sindangan, Bayan ng Sindangan, 7112 Zamboanga del Norte. Admission is free.  There is a dress code in the shrine.  No wearing of short pants (as well as long pants for females) and sleeveless shirts or blouses.

How to Get There: Buses and vans going to Ipil and Zamboanga City from Dipolog, and vice versa, pass by the Regional Highway. Under the shrine’s entrance arch are habal-habal drivers who charge P20-50 for a one way trip to the Shrine.

Church of St. James the Greater (Dapitan City, Zamboanga del Norte)

Church of St. James The Greater

The last destination in our tour of Dapitan, prior to our trip to Sindangan, was the Church of St. James the Greater.  As we arrived just 5 days before their patron saint’s feast day (July 25), small, colorful flag-shaped banners were strung up all over the plaza and the church.

The Dapitan parish was established in 1631 by Jesuit Fr. Pedro Gutierres.  The present church, a 5 minute walk from the foot of Ilihan Hill, was originally built with galvanized iron walls and wooden floors in 1871 under Fr. Juan Gelabert, S.J. .

The church’s simple Gothic-style facade

 During his exile from July 17, 1892 to July 31, 1896, national hero Jose Rizal painted a backdrop, inspired by a church in Barcelonafor the church altar. However, the painting was later destroyed by fire.  A marker here, near the entrance, also marks the spot where Rizal usually stood when he heard Mass every Sunday. He could not go near the altar during Mass because of his excommunication from the Catholic Church.

Spot where Rizal stood during mass

National Historical Commission (NHC) plaque

From 1904 to 1909, the church was repaired and renovated under the guidance of Fr. Antonio Obach, S.J.  The original galvanized iron wall was replaced with the present solid masonry and the wooden floor changed to mortar. In 1915, the floor was concreted and the sanctuary was remodeled in 1921 by Fr. Eliseo Gil, S.J..

Historical plaque

For about five days in 1944, Japanese soldiers used the church as a resting/sleeping area. Through the years, it has undergone several reconstructions including a major renovation in 1964 when the whole structure was almost completely reconstructed with reinforced concrete by Fr. Antonio Hamak.  The new church was inaugurated on July 23, 1967.

The church interior

It’s simple Gothic-style façade, devoid of much decoration, is flanked by twin square bell towers with pyramidal roofs and semicircular arched openings.  The protruding central portion at the lower level is flanked by lancet windows and rounded pilasters. The Gothic arch main entrance, above which is a lancet window, is flanked by rounded pilasters and is topped by a triangular pediment with a centrally located oculus.

The beautiful church ceiling

Inside the church is its beautifully designed ceiling of interlocking orange and white rectangles forming a swirling pattern around the dome and arches, creating an optical illusion of depth and motion. As a whole, it drowns the audience far below in dizzying disarray.

View of interior from choir loft

At the choir loft is a German made manual pipe organ, with European pipes and a manual pump, that bears the year 1827. It was brought to Dapitan in 1864 by the Augustinian Recollect fathers.

Church of St. James the Greater: Fr. Francisco Paula de Sanchez St., Potol, Dapitan City, Zamboanga del Norte 7101.  Tel: (065) 212-6202. Email Address: dapitanparish1631@gmail.com. Feast of St. James the Greater: July 25.

How to Get There: Dapitan City is located 15 kms. from Dipolog City. GPS Coordinates: 8.654734,123.42465

Church of St. Peter, Martyr of Varona (Hermosa, Bataan)

Church of St. Peter, Martyr of Varona

The seventh and last pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of St. Peter, Martyr of Verona in the town of Hermosa.  It was just about dusk when we arrived at the church and, as it was Holy Saturday, outside the church the Easter fire was being prepared to be kindled.

PHC Historical Marker

This church, established in 1717 and built in stone by Dominican friars, was destroyed by fire several times but was renovated in 1869.  In 1901, the church was handed over to the Filipino clergy.

The present church measures 58 m. long and 18 m. wide.  Old adobe walls were cut, sliced and re-used for its interior and exterior wall finishing.

Interior of the church

AUTHOR’S NOTES:

The church’s generally Baroque facade, with a projecting central portion, has first level with a semicircular arched main entrance flanked by coupled and single superpositioned  pilasters that rise up to the second level.

The second level has three statued niches.  The undulating pediment, carried down to large scrolls, has a centrally located circular rose window and is topped by a  square bell tower with semicircular arched openings. The whole facade is flanked by massive square piers topped by urn-like finials.

The main altar and its retablo

Church of St. Peter, Martyr of Varona: National Road, Hermosa, Bataan. Tel: (047) 491-1526. Feast of St. Peter, Martyr of Varona: May 3.

How to Get There: Hermosa is located 106.5 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 31.9 kms. (a 45-min. drive) north of Balanga City.

Church of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary (Orani, Bataan)

Church of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary

The sixth pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary in the town of Orani. The town’s present church and convent is one of the best in the province.  Both were repaired by Dominican friars in 1792.

The right side of the church

Badly damaged during the September 16, 1852 earthquake, both were improved by Dominican Frs. Bartolome Alvarez del Manzano, O.P., in 1868 and Fermin Perez San Julian in 1891.

The left side of the church

Repaired in 1936, both were destroyed by the fire of March 16, 1938 and reconstructed on September 1938.  In 1939, a historical marker at the façade of the church was installed by the Philippines Historical Committee, classifying it as a House of Worship with Level II status.

PHC Historical Marker

On August 15, 1945, the church was rehabilitated by Fr. Elias Calimbas. Its construction was finished in 1982 by Fr. Simplicio Fernandez and Msgr. Emilano Santos. On April 18, 1959, the image of the Nuestra Señora del Rosario was canonically crowned in a solemn ceremony headed by the Archbishop of San Fernando and the Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines.

The four-storey bell tower on the right

From 1987 to October 6, 1991, the church was renovated Frs. Antonio Dumaual and Camilo Pacanza and, on October 6, 1991, the new altar ( which replaced the former Neoclassic altar which was demolished in the late 1980s) was blessed by Bishop Celso N. Guevarra.

A right side entrance doorway

In 2002, the church and convent were repaired and improved and, on August 22, 2004, it was declared as a Pilgrimage Shrine (Shrines to the Virgin Mary or “Dambana ng Paglalakbay”) by then Bishop of Balanga and later Archbishop of Lingayen Socrates B. Villegas.

The church interior

On April 18, 2009, the 50th Golden Anniversary of the Virgin’s Canonical Coronation was celebrated with the presence of Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales.On September 25, 2012, the church was granted a perpetual spiritual affinity bond by Pope Benedict XVI with the Basilica of St. Mary Major in Rome.

The church’s three-level Baroque and Neoclassical facade has regularly spaced paired columns alternating with pedimented windows at the second level and topped by a pediment decorated with huge flowing scrolls.

The main altar

It is separated from the second level by a triglyph-decorated horizontal cornice.  On the church’s right is its four-storey bell tower.   Its old 1806 bell was installed in front of the church on June 7, 1998. The Church has four portals – the Gate of Heaven, the Gate of Saints, the Gate of Angels and the Gate of Paradise.

The dome above the altar

Beside the church is the Museo ng Mahal na Birheng Maria, a repository of Marian relics and artifacts such as the numerous vestments and crowns of the Lady of the Most Holy Rosary.

Museo ng Mahal na Birhen Maria

In front of the church is the historic bell of the church, dedicated and first used during the tenure of Frs. Juan José de Acuña and Esteban de Sta. María in 1806 and installed on June 7, 1998.

The Bell of Orani

Church of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary: National Highway, Poblacion. Tel: (047) 481-1095 and (047) 333-7252. Feast of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary: Second Sunday of October.

How to Get There: Orani is located 104.9 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 16.6 kms. (a 15-min. drive) north of Balanga City.

Church of St. Catherine of Sienna (Samal, Bataan)

Church of St. Catherine of Sienna

The fifth pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of St. Catherine of Sienna in the town of Samal.  The town’s first church was destroyed during the Dutch attack in 1647 and was rebuilt by Dominican Fr. Jeronimo Belen and again by Fr. Juan Zubelsu in the later half of the 17th century.

The 5-storey hexagonal bell tower

It was burned in 1836 and its roof repaired with galvanized sheets by Fr. Miguel Portell (who also built the convent).  In 1898, the church was burned by Katipuneros to drive out their enemies in the convent. Fr. Justo Quesada rebuilt the present church and convent from 1903 to 1905.

The convent

The church’s three-level, High Renaissance facade has semicircular arched main entrance with recessed door jamb and flanked by segmented arched windows and superimposed pilasters topped by pinnacles.

Church interior

Main altar and retablo

The second level has a semicircular arched window flanked by two smaller semicircular arched windows (above which are small triangular pediments).

Historical marker installed by the Philippine Historical Committee in 1939

Its balustered pediment has a blind circular window at the tympanum, above which is a small statued niche.  On the church’s right is its five-storey, hexagonal bell tower, with blind and open semicircular arch fenestration, and topped by a dome.

Right side altar

Left side altar

Church of St. Catherine of Sienna: Guttieres St., Brgy. San Roque, Samal.  Tel: (047) 451-1101. Feast of St. Catherine of Sienna: April 30.

How to Get There: Samal is located 111.3 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 14.6 kms. (a 25-min. drive) north of Balanga City.

Church of St. Dominic of Guzman (Abucay, Bataan)

Church of St. Dominic of Guzman

The fourth pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of St. Dominic of Guzman in the town of Abucay.  This church was built by Fr. Geronimo de Belen in the early 1600s after the establishment of the Dominican mission in Abucay on June 10, 1588.

PHC Historical Marker

In 1608, it housed one of the earliest printing presses in the country.  Here, Dominican Friar Fr. Francisco Blancas de San Jose, O.P.  and Don Tomas Pinpin printed several books in Spanish and Tagalog.

The 5-storey bell tower on the church’s left

This church’s court was the site of a fierce battle between the Dutch and Pampango natives on June 23, 1647.  After the battle, hundreds of Kapampangans and Spanish officials and priests were massacred in the church complex, while others were taken to the former Dutch colony of Batavia (the original downtown area of JakartaIndonesia).

The wooden door at main entrance

The church was damaged during the September 16, 1852 earthquake.   Destroyed by fire in 1870, it was later reconstructed by Fr. Jose Diego Pelaez. In 1925, major changes were made in the church’s structure.

The balustered pediment

The church’s two-level, Renaissance -style facade, divided vertically by single or coupled Doric columns, has a semicircular arched main portal flanked by statued niches on the first level, and three segmental arched fenestrations on the second level.

The church’s interior

The undulating pediment, its top lined with balusters, with a statued niche of St. Dominic of Guzman in the center.  All are topped by triangular pediments, each with a pair of decorative brackets to support it.

The main altar

The second-level cornice is topped by four urn-like finials. To the right of the church rises the five-storey bell tower, each of its storeys defined by decorative balusters and ornamented with semicircular arched windows. It still houses the bells donated in 1839 and 1859.

The dome above the main altar

Church of St. Dominic of Guzman: Brgy. Laon, Abucay, BataanTel: (047) 237-3830. Feast of Saint Dominic of Guzman: Last Sunday of October.

How to Get There: Abucay is located 115.9 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 7.6 kms. (a 15-min. drive) north of Balanga City.

Diocesan Shrine and Cathedral Parish of St. Joseph (Balanga City, Bataan)

Diocesan Shrine and Cathedral Parish of St. Joseph

The third pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Diocesan Shrine and Cathedral Parish of St. Joseph in the capital city of Balanga.

PHC Historical Marker

The city’s church and convent was built in 1714 by Dominican Fr. Agustin Esquivel and renovated by Fr. Benito Rivas who strengthened the church by raising and fortifying its wall.

The 5-storey bell tower on the cathedral’s left

Fr. Vicente Fernandez changed its roof to galvanized iron sheets and decorated its interior.  From 1838 to 1845, Fr. Fernando Ma. Miñano constructed the arch of the choir loft and made a baptismal font out of granite from Mariveles.

The cathedral’s interior

During World War II, the cathedral was used by the Japanese 14th Army as an artillery emplacement to bombard Mt. Samat, where the Filipino-American troops were making their last stand.  On March 19, 2015 the cathedral was formally declared as a Diocesan Shrine.

Main altar

The church’s Baroque facade has a semicircular arched main entrance, segmented arched windows on the second level and is topped by a huge, undulating pediment with a niche supported by a pier and lintel.

Left side altar

Right side altar

The pediment’s raking cornice is enhanced by volute-like strip mold.  On the church’s left is its five-storey, hexagonal bell tower.

Confessional and wooden spiral stairs leading to the choir loft

Diocesan Shrine and Cathedral Parish of St. Joseph: Brgy.  Poblacion, Balanga CityBataan. Tel: (047) 237-3595. Feast of Saint Joseph, the Husband of Mary: April 28.

How to Get There: Balanga City is located 118.6 kms. (a 2.5-hour drive) from Manila.

 

Church of Our Lady of the Pillar (Pilar, Bataan)

Church of Our Lady of the Pillar

The second pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of Our Lady of the Pillar in the town of Pilar.  This church, with pilasters and adobe stone walls, was started in 1834 by Dominican Fr. Jesualdo Minaño. Fr. Jose Diego (1851-1864) completed the second row of windows and Fr. Francisco Govea (1864-1867) constructed the church’s walls. Fr. Miguel Vasquez (1882-1886) galvanized the roofs in 1885.

The left side of the church

On May 28, 1898, local revolutionaries burned the church, including the rectory.  The image of Nuestra Señora del Pilar survived. In 1931, Dominican Fr. Fermin de San Julian built a new stone church while Fr. Renato Manansala (1977-1979) rebuilt the still standing old rectory.

The right side of the church

Fr. Roberto Tayao (1996-2003) installed stained glass windows at the sanctuary and new flooring for the entire church. On March 4, 2001, the church was consecrated by Ricardo Cardinal J. Vidal.  Surprisingly, unlike the six other pilgrim churches and in spite of its history and age, this church doesn’t have a historical plaque installed by the Philippine Historical Commitee (PHC).

The church interior

Its two-level, Baroque facade has a projecting central section with a semicircular arched main entrance flanked by coupled flat pilasters.

The main altar

The second level has three semicircular arched statue niches and is topped by a balustrade and a central square bell tower.  Interestingly, it is the only church in Bataan built facing the mountains instead of the sea.  Near the church is the Museo ng Kagitingan.

Check out “Museo ng Kagitingan

One of the church’s bells

Church of Our Lady of the Pillar: Poblacion, Pilar, Bataan.  Tel: (047) 237-2923. Feast of Our Lady of the Pillar: October 12.

How to Get There: Pilar is located 131.4 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 15 kms. (a 25-min. drive) from Balanga City.