Church of St. Michael the Archangel (Bacoor City, Cavite)

Church of St. Michael the Archangel

The original church, in one of the oldest parishes in Cavite (established as a separate parish, from Kawit, on January 18, 1752), was made from wood, stone, bamboo and nipa in 1669 and used to face Bacoor Bay.

The church’s Baroque facade

In October 1762, due to its strategic location, the church and convent was destroyed by the British on their way to occupy Cavite Puerto (now Cavite City).  In 1774, it was rebuilt in stone and, from 1788 to 1820, Fr. Domingo Sevilla Pilapil rebuilt the church in stone and mortar, adding the retablo, bell tower and patio.

Plaza Gomes

After the June 3, 1863 Manila earthquake, the church was reoriented inland (to prevent entry of sea water during high tides),  rebuilt, and enlarged with adobe, from 1863 to 1870, by parish priest (from June 2, 1824 to 1872) Fr. Mariano Gomes delos Angeles (of GOMBURZA fame) and Architect Felix Rojas (who later designed the Neo-Gothic Church of Sto. Domingo in Intramuros, Manila).  In 1872, after Fr. Gomes’ execution on February 17, the administration of the church was turned over to the Augustinian Recollect Fr. Juan Gomez.

The church’s three-storey bell tower

The National Historical Commission plaque installed in 2022

On May 31, 1898, during the Philippine Revolution, revolutionaries raised the Philippine flag on the bell tower.  After the revolution, the church was returned to the secular clergy. 

Important Cultural Property Marker

The present structure is what remained of this once longest church in Cavite, which once measured 20 brazas (33.4 m.) long and 5.5 brazas (9.9 m.) wide), after a third of the church was destroyed, on June 13, 1899, during the Philippine-American War.

The church interior

The choir loft area

On December 28, 2020, the church, as well as the nearby Cuenca House, were declared as an Important Cultural Properties by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, National Historical Commission of the Philippines, and the National Museum of the Philippines.

The main altar

AUTHOR’S NOTES:

The church’s Baroque façade has a segmental arch main entrance (topped by a segmental arch statued niche), flanked by coupled flat pilasters, with Doric capitals and urn-like finials, and narrow, semicircular arched windows.  The triangular pediment has a centrally located, semicircular arch niche with a statue of St. Michael the Archangel.

The three-storey bell tower, on the church’s right, has a square base with coupled flat pilasters (also topped by Doric capitals) and a segmental arch open and blind (where the “Simbahan ng Bacoor” plaque is mounted) windows.  The upper two storeys, in receding planes, are octagonal, with blind and open, semicircular arch windows.

Inside is a narrow nave, exposed roof trusses with no ceiling, a main altar and two side altars.  Along the walls are burial niches.

One of the burial niches along the walls

In 2021, a historical marker and a bust of Fr. Mariano Gomes was installed front of the church convent, built in 1843 by Fr. Gomes.

The convent on the church’s left

The Padre Mariano Gomes Marker

Church of St. Michael the Archangel: Gen. E. Evangelista St., Poblacion, 4102 Bacoor City, Cavite.Tel: (046) 436-0456, 434-5679 (office) and 434-6466 (rectory). E-mail: sanmiguelbacoor@gmail.com.  Feast of St. Michael the Archangel: May 12.

How to Get There: Bacoor City is located 24.5 kms. (a one-hour drive) from Manila and 26.5 kms. (a one-hour drive) from Trece Martires City.  The church, right in front of the city’s Hall of Justice and Justice B. Ocampo Park, is located near the City Hall.

Jeaox Breeding Farm (City of Ilagan, Isabela)

Jeaox Breeding Farm

On our seventh day in the City of Ilagan, after breakfast in our hotel, we again boarded our coaster for the 8.9 km. (20-min.) drive to the 20-hectare Jeaox Breeding Farm, home to almost a thousand non-native cows (American Brahman, Jersey and Holstein-Friesian) which are cross-bred to adapt to the climate of the country. It has been in operation for almost three years but only started its dairy operations in July 2023.

Media team at Jeaox Breeding Farm

Upon arrival, we were welcomed by Ms. Bernadette “Bea” Bayabo, the farm’s General Manager. Jeaox Farm has two cow sheds – one for fattening American Brahman cows, which are raised for their meat, and the other for almost 200 cross-bred Holstein-Friesian cows which are bred for its milk. It produces an average of about 1,000 liters of milk per day. Currently, the farm has 70 employees, 30 of which are in dairy production.

A cow with visual ear tags

Cows here wear visual ear tags to better manage the herd, keep accurate records and make decisions for herd management. Each tag has its own number and code with information on its sex, year of birth, type of breed and health history.

The author

Most of the cows that arrive in the plant are pregnant. To increase their numbers, sexed semen (or sex-sorted semen) technology is used for artificial insemination in the farm to produce cross-bred females. It is produced using a flow cytometry and sorting process, or via another process, that selectively destroys sperm cell carrying undesirable chromosomes.

Cow Milking Parlor

The farm’s herringbone-type milking parlor facility is capable, at a time, of milking 32 cows and storing 3,000 liters of raw milk. The cows are milked twice a day (4 AM and 5 PM).

The herringbone type milking parlor, the most common design used on dairy farms with smaller herds. Here, cattle stand at a 45-degree angle, offering the milker a different access point to the udder than the parallel or tandem designs, and also allows access for different types of equipment to be used.

Cow Milking Claw Assembly

The raw milk is then transported to the cooling tank of the milk plant, within the complex.  For every 100 liters of milk that goes into the plant, 40 liters is for fresh milk, 40 liters for yoghurt and 20 liters for pastillas making.

Mr. Moo Milk Plant

At the plant, the raw milk undergoes homogenization and low-heat (75 degrees Centigrade) pasteurization. Then, it is transformed into a number of products for Mr. Moo, a 20 year old company, owned by Mr. Juan Miguel Mercado, that started in Tagaytay City.

Ms. Bernadette “Bea” Bayabo (left), Jeaox Breeding Farm General Manager

Mr. Moo, whose branding is represented by a Holstein-Friesian cow, partnered with the Ilagan-based Jeaox Breeding Farm since corn silage or burong mais, the cow’s main diet and principal energy source, is cheaper in Ilagan (Php2.15 per kilo) compared to the corn-producing provinces near Tagaytay (Php10 per kilo). Corn silage is made from the leaves, briquettes (busil) and stems of corn mixed with grass and other feeds.

High pressure homogenizers are mixing equipment used to create a uniform and consistent mixture. It works by breaking the components and evenly distributing them throughout the solution. Homogenizers were invented by Auguste Gaulin for homogenizing milk.

These highly perishable milk drinks, with eight flavors (plain, chocolate, dark choco, vanilla, strawberry, melon, buko pandan and ube), are package in small plastic bottles with a shelf life of 5 to 10 days when refrigerated.  Starting from November 2023, aside from the City of Ilagan, these products were also transported to Tagaytay.

Milk retort machine eliminates all viable microorganisms, including spores, in milk.

Pastillas being manually wrapped

They are also packaged in high-density polyethylene (HDPE) containers (which extends, from to 6 to 8 months up to one year, the shelf life) which are intended for the city government’s milk feeding programs (which Mr. Moo participates in with the help of the Department of Education and the Department of Social Welfare and Development) for young students.

Mr. Moo Milk Drink

Currently, Mr. Moo has five franchises and six outlets, two in the Cagayan Valley Region.  One is along the Maharlika Highway in Brgy. Baligatan (across the Giant Butaka) in the City of Ilagan (inaugurated on February 1, 2024) and another is in Cauayan City (formally inaugurated on April 6, 2024). Another branch will soon to open in Tuguegarao City (Cagayan).

Mr. Moo in high-density polyethylene (HDPE) containers

Their products also include four variants of yoghurt (plain, ube, strawberry and mango) and four variants of pastillas (plain, buko pandan, cheese and ube). Ice cream products are still under experimentation, with four flavors in the works.

Pastillas in multi-colored wrappers

Jeaox Breeding Farm: Sitio Bating, Brgy. Namnama, City of Ilagan, 3300 Isabela.

City Tourism Office: 2/F, City Hall Bldg., 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 624-1511. E-mail: tourism@cityofilagan.gov.ph.

City of Ilagan Tourist Information and Assistance Center: Bonifacio Park, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 324-7769.  E-mail: ilaganinfocenter@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: The City of Ilagan is located 429.3 kms. (an 8-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 1-hour drive) from Cauayan City.

Balai na Ilagan (Isabela)

 

Balay na Ilagan

Balai na Ilagan (“House of Ilagan”), also known as Friendship Hall and Balai na Maguili, is located beside St. Ferdinand Parish Church and Rizal Park.  Brimming with art in every nook, it was built in 2009 and is a testament to the vibrant arts, culture, music and literature scene in the province. Here, artists can learn from workshops, hold concerts or just find solace in the peaceful surroundings.

This multi-purpose hall and former convent and town clinic, within the grounds of the diocese of the Roman Catholic Church, was set up by Stewards and Friends of Ilagan Inc. (the corporate social responsibility arm of the S.M. Lazo Group of Companies based in Malate, Manila) to give Ilagueños a communal space to nurture the artistic talents of Ilagan’s residents.

Interior

They also conduct youth development activities and livelihood training courses for the less fortunate, and ties up with institutions that promote productive skills such as TESDA to enrich the lives of the locals.

Wall-to-wall murals painted by local artists

Balai ni Ilagan promotes culture and the arts by showcasing audio-visual presentations of native and international literature, music, arts and sciences; inviting speakers for cross-cultural learning; and holding competitions related to music, as well as painting and photography contests.

Grand piano

Adorning the interiors are wall-to-wall murals, painted by local artists, of forest scenes and jungle foliage interspersed with bright flowers, wildlife, mythical creatures, waterfalls, and birds in flight.  On one side of the hall is a grand piano for aspiring musicians.  There’s also a well-preserved 18th century chapel in the compound.

Balcony

At the main entrance is an ornate, restored wooden door, from the old convent, carved with flowers and intricate details. The clean and orderly grounds are used by students, to practice plays, presentations and musical numbers.

The clean and orderly grounds used by students

The library, offering a wide range of reading materials, also displays promising artwork by students from workshops.

Balai na Ilagan: Sta. Ana cor. Rizal St., Brgy. Bagumbayan, 3300 Cityof Ilagan, Isabela.

City Tourism Office: 2/F, City Hall Bldg., 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 624-1511. E-mail: tourism@cityofilagan.gov.ph.

City of Ilagan Tourist Information and Assistance Center: Bonifacio Park, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 324-7769.  E-mail: ilaganinfocenter@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com. 

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: The City of Ilagan is located 429.3 kms. (an 8-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 1-hour drive) from Cauayan City.

St. Ferdinand Parish Church (City of Ilagan, Isabela)

St. Ferdinand Parish Church

The St. Ferdinand Parish Proto-Cathedral, one of the oldest churches in Isabela, is located beside St. Ferdinand College and Rizal Park.  The present foundations of the present church was built, from 1696 to 1700, by Fr. Miguel Matos, O.P.,  as a mamposteria and brick church.

In 1777, the solid belfry (existing up to present) was started by Fr. Pedro de San Pedro, O.P., and finished, in 1783, by Fr. Joaquin Sancho, O.P.. In 1786, the bell of the church was forged.  On December 20, 1803, the church became the final resting place of Nueva Segovia Bishop Agustin Pedro Blaquer, OSA, who died in Ilagan on December 19, 1803 after he got sick during his visit to Cauayan. He was interred at the Epistle side of the church.

Old photo of the church probably showing the 1930 facade (St. Ferdinand Official Facebook account)

In 1829, Fr. Luis Garcia, O.P., constructed the sacristy  of ladrillo and finished in 1833. The 1866 typhoon destroyed the church dome and Fr. Pablo Almazan, O.P., demolished major portions of the church’s solid walls in order to build a bigger one.  In 1892, Fr. Isidro Martinena, O.P., established a campo santo (cemetery) in Barangay Santo Tomas, located outside of Ilagan poblacion.

Another old photo of the church, probably showing the 1960s renovation as the buttresses are now more prominent and entrance and stained glass windows have been modified. (photo: hiSTORYA)

The present façade and major parts of the church were constructed in the 1930s. It was renovated in the 1960s. The bell tower, sanctuary, sacristy, parish hall and the old campo santo are the remaining traces of the Spanish-era church.

The present Baroque facade. The buttresses  are now rounded and the stained glass windows and blind arches have also been modified.

During a recent renovation, the ladrillo details of the sanctuary, the Epistle side and Gospel side of the church were once again revealed after the cement were chipped-off.  The ladrillo fence of the campo santo could still be recognized.

AUTHOR’S NOTES

The church’s single level Baroque façade has a semicircular arched main entrance flanked by massive circular buttresses (in turn topped by urn-like finials) and semicircular blind arches (with two smaller semicircular arches within).

Above  the main entrance is a corbelled cornice with a blind semicircular arch enclosing three (one big flanked by two small) semicircular arch stained glass windows.  The triangular pediment, with broken curves along the top, has a centrally located blind rose window.

On the church’s left is the original four-storey square bell tower.  It has narrow semicircular windows, paired Solomonic columns (topped by urn-like finials) at the corners and is topped by a pyramidal roof

 

In 1973, the church became the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ilagan, a suffragan diocese (founded on January 31, 1979) of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Tuguegarao. However, in 2003, the diocese was transferred to the new Cathedral Church (and Bishops’ Residence) in Barangay Upi, in Gamu, Isabela.  In 2013, the present cathedral was placed under the patronage of St. Michael the Archangel. Despite the transfer, both city and diocese still remain under the patronage of St. Ferdinand III of Castile, whose feast day is celebrated on May 30. At present, the centuries-old structure is designated as a proto-cathedral by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ilagan.

The 4-storey bell tower is all that remained of the original Spanish-era church

On October 29, 2023, a mass was held for the celebration of the first Holy Rosary Festival wherein the pilgrim image of the St. Ferdinand Parish – Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary was episcopally crowned by Most Rev. David William V. Antonio, D.D., STHD., bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ilagan.

The April 22, 2024 fire that engulfed the church (photo: Rappler)

On April 22, 2024, Monday, at around 11:40 AM, a devastating fire started from the roof of the church while workers were installing steel trusses on the church’s ceiling,  It was extinguished after an hour but most of its interior was destroyed. The final investigation report of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) identified the total cost of the damages is estimated to be around P35-40 million which include antique religious items among others. The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and Ilagan City Engineering Office conducted a series of tests and studies which revealed that only around 20-30% of the structural integrity of the church remained after the fire took down most of its interior.

The burnt out interior of the church (photo: Philippine News Agency)

Just days after the fire that destroyed the proto-cathedral, the City Government of Ilagan, in coordination with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ilagan, were able to put up a temporary altar and steel benches covered with aluminum roofing sheets and steel trusses in the church-front courtyard (often referred by locals as the Family Park). Since April 28, 2024, while the clearing and restoration of the church is still ongoing, all regular masses of the parish were temporarily being held, by parish priest Fr. Ric-Zeus Angobang (he became parish priest in August 2023), in the make-shift altar.

St. Ferdinand Parish Church: Centro Poblacion, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 624-2467.  Mobile number: (0997) 068-9967.

City Tourism Office: 2/F, City Hall Bldg., 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 624-1511. E-mail: tourism@cityofilagan.gov.ph.

City of Ilagan Tourist Information and Assistance Center: Bonifacio Park, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 324-7769.  E-mail: ilaganinfocenter@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: The City of Ilagan is located 429.3 kms. (an 8-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 1-hour drive) from Cauayan City.

Sagittarian Agricultural Philippines, Inc. (City of Ilagan, Isabela)

Dressing Plant of Sagittarian Agricultural Philippines, Inc.

On our sixth day in the City of Ilagan, after breakfast at our hotel, we again boarded our coaster and proceeded, on a short 5.4-km. drive, to Sagittarian Agricultural Philippines, Inc. (SAPI), a homegrown private integrated agricultural company duly registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission, for a plant visit. The company currently operates a modern dressing plant and state-of-the-art machinery for grains processing. It is also the manufacturer and official distributor of frozen poultry products which include Dragon’s Prime Juicy Delight and Super Fresh.

Media group being briefed by Mr. Julius A. Gamayon, SAPI Chief Operating Officer, before entering the dressing plant

Upon arrival at the Poultry Dressing Plant, we were welcomed by Mr. Jose Avelino C. Diaz, SAPI’s President and CEO, and Mr. Julius A. Gamayon, SAPI Chief Operating Officer.  We later interviewed Mr. Diaz inside his office. Established on July 18, 2016, SAPI’s initial line of business consisted of poultry production, hog-raising, fish production, and grains trading. In 2017, the company’s rapid growth allowed it to expand its business into grains and meat processing, trucking, construction and real estate.

Interviewing Mr. Avelino C. Diaz (wearing blue shirt), SAPI’s President and CEO, at his office

In 2018, it expanded its meat processing unit, with the establishment of Sagittarian Meat Processing, and launched several food counter outlets to promote the products, food counter outlets under the trade name The Chicken Place, initially installing them within the city of Ilagan and, later, expanding into the nearby towns in Isabela and Cagayan.

Newly-slaughtered chickens being conveyed, by a conveyor machine, for evisceration

In December 2020, despite the ongoing pandemic, the company managed to respond to the need for fresh and affordable products by establishing Juicy Delight which carries locally produced products such as hotdogs, Hungarian sausages, longganisa, embotido, burger patties, nuggets, ham and other chicken marinated products. 

The evisceration process wherein the feathers, feet and internal organs of the chicken are removed

That same month, Charoen Pokphand  Foods Corp (CPF), the No. 1 agro-industrial company of Thailand), in partnership with SAPI, inaugurated a new 2400-sow swine breeding complex which will be a source of quality breeder stocks for herd restocking and repopulation.

The cleaning and chilling process

On August 10, 2021, recognizing the need innovate and capture a bigger market, SAPI signed an incubation agreement, with the Isabela State University Agri-Aqua Technology Business Incubation (ISU-ATBI) Project (under the National ATBI Program of the Department of Science and Technology- Philippine Council for Agriculture, Aquatics and Natural Resources Research and Development), to expand the company’s product line, enrolling at the ISU-ATBI incubation program managed by ISU-CVSRRC, iIn partnership with Provincial Science and Technology Center (PSTC)- Isabela, which will assist SAPI in developing canned chicken products utilizing the developed meat canning technology of ISU-CVSRRC.

The Chicken Processing Plant

The canned products, utilizing SAPI’s own locally produced meat (making cost of production lower as compared to other food processors), will be sold as ready-to-eat products and designed to be responsive to the present needs of the consumers. Aside from developing canned products, ISU-ATBI also provided services in brand marketing, e-commerce and financial management. This technology-based food processing boosts food processing industry in the province by utilizing locally produced raw materials.

The author

On May 17, 2024, CPF, together with SAPI, broke ground for the new Php1.8 billion feedmill complex in Brgy. Cabannungan 2, a big boost for corn farmers as it will assure them a ready market for their produce, at a good price.

Mr. Diaz (third from right) briefing us on the plant’s operation and finished products

During our Poultry Dressing Plant visit, we also observed how the chickens were processed by trained workers and automated equipment.  The evisceration process (removal of feathers, feet and internal organs, washing of carcasses, inspection, chilling and testing) is highly automated, with machines conducting most of the activity.

The steam retort machine (Andi Machinery Technology Co., Td.)

We next transferred to the nearby Chicken Processing Plant. Here, highly efficient sterilization of packaged chicken is achieved via retort processing, using a steam retort machine (Andi Machinery Technology Co., Td.).  It consists of sterilizing, pasteurizing, or cooking a product (and its packaging), eradicating any microorganisms and extending a product’s shelf life (anywhere from one year to 26 months in the right ambient conditions), so that it is both safe and of high quality.

The frozen dressed whole chicken of Super Fresh

Then, for frozen dressed chicken products, the workers cut and debone the chicken carcasses to become different products (wings, drumsticks, breast, etc.) or leave them whole.

The high-speed, fully automated Utrust Pack aluminum vacuum can sealing machine

For canned products, the chicken are cut up into parts and canned (round) using a high-speed, fully automated Utrust Pack aluminum vacuum can sealing machine which removes air from the package, via a vacuum pump, prior to sealing.

The already sealed, but still unlabelled, cans rolling down the canning line

The finished products are then bagged and/or boxed and shipped (frozen dressed chicken products in a refrigerated truck), to grocery stores, supermarkets or distribution centers.

The canned products (Chicken Adobo, Chicken Afritada, Chicken Kaldereta and Corned Chicken) of Juicy Delight

Sagittarian Agricultural Philippines, Inc. (SAPI):  Brgy. Santa Victoria, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Mobile number: 0916 514 0813. E-mail: juicydelight13@gmail.com. Website: www.sagittarianagri.net.

City Tourism Office: 2/F, City Hall Bldg., 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 624-1511. E-mail: tourism@cityofilagan.gov.ph.

City of Ilagan Tourist Information and Assistance Center: Bonifacio Park, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 324-7769.  E-mail: ilaganinfocenter@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com. 

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com. 

How to Get There: The City of Ilagan is located 429.3 kms. (an 8-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 1-hour drive) from Cauayan City.

City of Ilagan Museum (Isabela)

City of Ilagan Museum

The morning of our fourth day in the City of Ilagan, after breakfast at the hotel, we visited the City of Ilagan Museum, located near the Ilagan City Hall and the GSO Office in a building inaugurated last September 2, 2020.  Managed by the city’s Tourism Office, it provides information on the history, culture and heritage of the City of Ilagan.

The museum is divided into two wings, the left wing devoted to Ilagan in the 20th and 21st century, while the right wing delves on the early history and culture and traditions of Ilagan.

The museum’s right wing

The left wing

 

At the entrance of the wing to the right of the stairs is a diorama of Irraya, 1521.  Interesting  displays include a bell used to call teachers and students of the Isabela National High School to flag raising ceremonies; and a sara (carabao horn) used to call Ilaguenos to meetings or festivals or to warn people of inbound calamities or disasters.

Irraya 1521 Diorama

A fishing boat, a threshing board, an Ilagan carison wheel and a wooden plow

At one prominent corner are actual farming implements such as a wooden plow, threshing board, etc., an original Ilagan carison wheel, and a fishing boat.

A bell used to call teachers and students of the Isabela National High School to flag raising ceremonies

Sara (Carabao Horn)

A 1958 Yashica 635 twin lens reflex camera and a surveyor’s theodolite

There’s also a butaka (a handcrafted chair with a long “armrest”), old religious statuary; a numismatic display of old Philippine coins and paper currency; mannequins dressed in native Filipino attire (barong tagalog and baro’t saya); old missals and prayer books; World War II helmets; and old photos.

Butaka

Old religious statuary

Another corner displays old appliances such a console television, phonograph players, transistor radios, and cassette players while mounted on the wall above them are 7-inch single and 12-inch long playing records.

Office equipment such as typewriters and adding machines

Old phonograph players and console TV.  Hanging on the walls are 7-inch single and 12-inch long playing records. On the right is an old violin

There’s also office equipment such as typewriters and adding machines; a violin as well as charcoal flat irons, cutlery, oil lamps, bauls (wooden chests), banga (clay jars) and porcelain china.

Old Philippine paper currency

Old Philippine coins

There are two oil on canvas portraits including one of Antonio Lopez y Lopez (1817-1883), the first Marques de Comillas, who formed the Compania General de Tabacos de Filipinas, S.A.

Portrait of Antonio Lopez y Lopez, the first Marquess de Comillas

Artwork by Ilagueno artists

Prominently mounted on a wall, at the other wing of the museum, are photos of local chief executives, from the past to the present, while shelves display the numerous local and international awards conferred on the city.

Local Chief Executives, past and present

Scaled model of the City of Ilagan Medical Center and the City Hall

Also on display are scaled models of the City of Ilagan Medical Center and the City Hall; Bambanti Festival King and Queen costumes; a Queen Isabela gown, and paintings done by Ilagueno artists.

Bambanti Festival King and Queen costumes

Gown, for the 2023 Bambanti Festival Search for Queen Isabela, designed by Laoag City (Ilocos Norte)-based fashion designer Amor Albano

Modular display stands also feature the City of Ilagan’s notable tourist attractions such as Bonifacio Park, Rizal Park, Ilagan Sanctuary, Pinzal Falls, City of Ilagan Sports Complex, Sta. Victoria Caves, St. Ferdinand Parish Church, etc. 

Rizal Park and St. Ferdinand Parish Church

City of Ilagan Sports Complex and Casa San Antonio

City of Ilagan Museum: 2/F, City Library Bldg., City Hall Complex, Brgy. San Vicente, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Mobile number: (0935) 673-3590.

City Tourism Office: 2/F, City Hall Bldg., 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 624-1511. E-mail: tourism@cityofilagan.gov.ph.

City of Ilagan Tourist Information and Assistance Center: Bonifacio Park, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 324-7769.  E-mail: ilaganinfocenter@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: The City of Ilagan is located 429.3 kms. (an 8-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 1-hour drive) from Cauayan City.

Regional Yarn Production and Innovation Center (City of Ilagan, Isabela)

Regional Yarn Production and Innovation Center

The morning of our third day in the City of Ilagan, we visited the Php40 million Regional Yarn Production and Innovation Center (RYPIC) within the City of Ilagan Campus of the Isabela State University.  The second of its kind in the country (the first RYPIC is located in Iloilo), it was launched on June 23, 2023 by the  Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Textile Research Institute (DOST-PTRI), the Isabela State University (ISU) – City of Ilagan Campus, the DOST-Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (DOST PCIEERD), DOST Region II, City of Ilagan, and the Province of Isabela.

InteriorThe establishment of the facility is aimed to strengthen the local textile ecosystem and bridge the gaps in textile supply chain by enabling the conversion of natural raw materials into spinnable fibers for yarns from blends of natural fibers including abaca, banana, bamboo and pineapple leaf, in combination with cotton.

The RYPIC Isabela is a micro-scale yarn-spinning facility that will aid in the development of the textile industry in Northern Luzon. The facility can produce 50 kgs. of yarn per day (8h) which translates to 270 m. of handloom woven (1 m. width) fabrics. One RYPIC may produce 13,200 kgs. of yarn per year which can be used to produce 36,000 m. of 60″ width fabrics for 24,000 pieces of a female blouse or 18,000 office barong tagalog.

Integrated Blow Card

Draw Frame

The center, under the DOST-GIA project “DOST Inclusive Innovation Textiles Empowering Lives Anew or i2TELA Program,” the first of its kind in Northern Luzon, processes the treated fibers from the Natural Textile Fiber Innovation Hub (NTFIH), in Luna, Apayao, and the Bamboo Textile Fiber Innovation Hub (BTFIH) in Cauayan City, Isabela, which are spun natural textile fiber-based yarns.

Speed Frame (Flyer Frame)

Ring Frame

The RYPIC aims to jumpstart local innovation ecosystems for the textile sector and cater to the requirements of micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in the fashion industry, the academe, and government institutions for yarns and fabrics using local raw materials, skills, and talents.  It serves as an innovation hub to promote textile research and development activities in a region, thus igniting economic activity in weaving communities across the country.

Single End Universal Sizing

Twisting

The center is run by the faculty and staff of the Isabela State University who underwent a five-day training, part of the capability-building component of the RYPIC north Luzon project under the “DOST–PTRI Inclusive Innovation TELA (Textile Empowering Lives Anew)” program, at the DOST-Philippine Textile Research Institute (PTRI) in Bicutan, Taguig, learning about textile raw materials and products, the process of textile manufacture, and techniques for testing and evaluating their common properties. They also gained knowledge and skills on how fibers are converted to yarns in the cotton system.

Winding

Finished Yarns Cotton, Cotton-Pineapple, Cotton-Bamboo and Cotton-Banana

During our visit, we observed, in action, the different equipment used in the yarn production.

  • Integrated Blow Card – a combination of blow room and carding machine designed, specifically for scaled-down spinning processes. This machine can function as a blow room. Raw fibers are opened, cleaned, mixed and transported to the carding machines, where mixed fibers are individually oriented and converted into rope-like strands called “slivers.” This is done through the carding action of three major components of the machine –licker-in, main cylinder and doffer.
  • Draw Frame – carded slivers go through between the top and bottom drafting rollers; dust and fly wastes are removed by a suction tube, improving the parallelism of the fibers to produce more even yarns. The combination of several carded slivers is called “doubling,” and its output is called a “drawn sliver.”
  • Speed Frame (Flyer Frame) – drawn slivers go through between the top and bottom drafting rollers, achieving its required weight to produce the “roving.” The roving material passes through the final drafting rollers, slight twist, enough to hold in the next process stage, is imparted.
  • Ring Frame – the roving passes through between the top and bottom rollers, to achieve the required yarn count or yarn number, imparting twist suitable for weaving and knitting, and wound into a bobbin for storage, transport and further processing. The output yarns are expressed, either as weight per unit length (direct system), or length per unit weight (indirect system).
  • Single End Universal Sizing – yarns, in cones, are imparted with size (starchy substance) through bathing, drying and rewinding into cones. The purpose of introducing size is to reduce the chances of threads fraying and breaking due to the friction in the weaving process.  The size stiffens the thread and holds the fibers closely together.
  • Twisting – an intermediate process in the manufacture of fabrics, no alteration is done to the material other than to twist one or more strands of yarn, placing the twisted yarn in suitable packaged form. Twisting compresses the fibers, reducing the size of the strand and adding strength to multiple ends when they are combined.
  • Winding – this machine has the capability to function as winder. Yarns, which emerges from the ring frame, are transferred into cone packages. The idea is to obtain a long, continuous length of yarn, for nonstop operation of weaving or knitting, regulate yarn tension and remove thick and thin yarns, slubs by means of a yarn monitoring device. 

After our tour of the facilities and prior to our departure, we interviewed Dr. Freddie O. Orperia, RYPIC Focal Person.

Dr. Freddie O. Orperia, RYPIC Focal Person

Regional Yarn Production and Innovation Center (RYPIC): Isabela State University, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela.

City Tourism Office: 2/F, City Hall Bldg., 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 624-1511. E-mail: tourism@cityofilagan.gov.ph.

City of Ilagan Tourist Information and Assistance Center: Bonifacio Park, 3300 City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 324-7769.  E-mail: ilaganinfocenter@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Tourism Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-3146.  Mobile number: (0917) 317-3820.  E-mail: isabelatourismoffice@gmail.com.

Isabela Provincial Information Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, City of Ilagan, Isabela. Tel: (078) 323-0248.  Mobile number: (0927) 395-7555.  E-mail: letters_info@yahoo.com.

How to Get There: The City of Ilagan is located 429.3 kms. (an 8-hour drive) from Manila and 35.5 kms. (a 1-hour drive) from Cauayan City.

Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal (Manila)

Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal (Church of St. Vincent de Paul)

The airy and relatively cool Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal (the original and established center for the propagation of the Miraculous Medal and the Vista Domiciliaria), formerly the Church of St. Vincent de Paul, had its beginning in 1872 when the Vincentians bought a piece of land in the barrio of San Marcelino (a part of the Parish of San Fernando de Dilao in Paco) which was a rice field near the Pasig River.

Plaque installed by the Historical Research and Markers Committee in 1935

The house they built served as refuge to the seminarians and Vincentians housed in the San Carlos Seminary which was destroyed, together with most buildings in Intramuros, by the July 1880 earthquake.

The church portico

A chapel, adjacent to the Vincentian Central House, was built in 1883.  Later, the chapel was used as a church, from 1898 to 1909, when the church and convent of Paco were destroyed by the American forces in retaliation for their initial defeat by the Filipino forces following the declaration of war against the Americans in 1899. The parish was canonically established on December 6 1909 by Archbishop Jeremiah Harty (an alumnus of the Diocesan Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri which was under the direction of the Vincentians).

Historical plaque installed by the National Museum in 2018 declaring the church as an Important Cultural Property

The present concrete church was designed by Architect Andres Luna de San Pedro (son of the great Filipino painter Juan N. Luna) and built in 1912 (the 50th anniversary of the arrival of the Vincentians and the Sisters of Charity in the Philippines) by Belgian missionaries.

Decree of Erection

During World War II, the Japanese occupied the church for almost 7 months and, during the Battle of Manila in February 1945, was badly damaged when the Japanese burned the interior of the church, massacring scholars, professors and Vincentian Fathers who were living there.

Dedication of the archdiocesan shrine

From 1946, the dome, belfries and roof were restored and fitted with a stained glass windows. From 2007 to 2010, the pillars and walls were retrofitted; the galvanized iron of the roof was replaced with long-span, blue-colored sheets; the wooden trusses were replaced with steel trusses; and the entire exterior and interior walls of the church were repainted.

Interior of the church

On September 10, 2022, seismic base isolators (acting like wheels to stabilize the building during earthquakes) were mounted, by RBRA Consulting Firm, on the pillars of the church, making it the first earthquake-resistant church in the Philippines.

Painting of St. Vincent de Paul flanked by stained glass windows

On December 5, 2018, the church was declared as an Important Cultural Property by the National Museum of the Philippines and, on July 16, 2023, it was elevated into an archdiocesan shrine by Manila Archbishop Jose F. Cardinal Advincula.  On that same date, the newly-renovated retablo (altar backpiece) was also blessed.

 

AUTHOR’S NOTES:

The church has a Latin Cross layout and a dome.  Its two-level Baroque façade has balustraded portico with semicircular arched main entrance flanked by flat pilasters (with Corinthian capitals) and two smaller, semicircular arched entrances (topped by festoons) at the first level.  Above the main entrance, at the second level, is a rose window flanked by two semicircular arched windows.  

The triangular pediment, topped by a statue of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, has a centrally located bas relief also of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. Flanking the façade are two four-storey, square bell towers with semicircular arched windows. The receding fourth level has a balustrade.

The main altar with its newly-renovated retablo (altar backpiece)

Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal: 959 San Marcelino St., Ermita, Manila 1000, Metro Manila.  Telefax: 2525-7853 and 2524-2022 local 101.  Feast of St. Vincent de Paul: September 27.  Feast of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal: November 27.

How to Get There: The church is located within Adamson University (the church is commonly called Adamson Church), beside the university’s CS Walkway and SV Building.  The nearest bus stop to Adamson University is D. Romualdez Sr./United Nations Ave..

Baguio Museum (Benguet)

Baguio Museum

The Baguio Museum is a great introduction to the Igorot (“mountain people”) of the Cordillera. Its collections date back as far as 1947 when then first woman councilor, Vice-Mayor and acting Mayor Virginia Oteyza de Guia collected them from friends in the Cordilleras.

The author at the museum entrance

First named the Baguio- Mountain Province Museum, the collections were first displayed at the City Hall and, later, transferred to the University of the Philippines before finding its home at its present site.

Commemorative plaques

Here’s the historical timeline of the museum:

  • In 1916, a small exhibit was installed in a small public school to serve as a teaching tool for the students.
  • In 1934, the museum was moved to its current location in the Civic Center and was expanded and renovated several times over the years.
  • In 1940, the Baguio Museum was established by American archaeologist Henry Otley Beyer.
  • In 1975, the museum was built by the Philippine Tourism Authority (under the chairmanship of Minister of Tourism Jose Aspiras) and Mayor Luis Lardizabal.
  • On May 1977, the museum was opened to the public.
  • On August 4, 1977, the museum was incorporated by government leaders, leaders and concerned citizens of Baguio City, and the provinces of Abra, Benguet, Ifugao, Kalinga-Apayao and Mountain Province.
  • On July 16, 1990, a major earthquake heavily damaged the old structure and the collection travelled from the old Camp John Hay Library to the basement of the Baguio Convention Center.
  • In 1998, the rebuilding of the museum was started.
  • In 2010, it was renamed as the Baguio Museum.
  • In March 2020, the museum was temporarily closed, for seven months, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • In September 2020, the rehabilitation and beautification of its galleries continued after stringent protocol requirements were complied with.
  • On October 2021, the museum was partially opened.
  • In January 2022, after almost two years with strict protocols, the museum was opened.
  • On July 4, 2022, after three years of improvements via a grant from the Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP) of the United States Embassy Manila, the renovated Baguio Museum was inaugurated.

Abra Gallery

Apayao Gallery

Benguet Gallery

Inspired by Ifugao architecture, this time-honored museum was designed by Architect Ignacio Estipona and built with of stone and wood and features a striking pyramidal roof and two huge concrete poles, at the stair entrance, that resembles a traditional Ifugao home with an elevated floor supported by posts.

Ifugao Gallery

Kalinga Gallery

Mountain Province Gallery.  In the foreground is a kulog (food container)

At the entrance are artworks donated by Joey Divina Bautista and Virginia Oteyza De Guia.

Conservation Room

Museum Shop

The museum has four floors.  The first floor houses the Conservation Room, Museum Shop and the NCCA Gallery which is used for training and lectures and exhibits.

So Above, So Below (Maela Liwanag Jose)

During our visit, the captivating “As Above, So Below” Exhibit (opened last February 16, 2024), a celebration of Baguio-based artist Maela Liwanag Jose’s Tinatik Arts, which extends to a total of 96 ft., was ongoing.  The fourth floor houses the library and research center.

Third Floor (Baguio City Gallery).  On the floor are the three miniature architectural models

Fourth Floor (Library and Research Area)

The second floor, the main floor of the building, houses the permanent Ethnological Exhibit.

Scaled models of the traditional houses of Apayao, Abra and Ifugao

Scaled models of the traditional houses of Kalinga, Mountain Province and Benguet

It has an extensive display of various tribal artifacts from the six provinces of the Cordillera region: Abra, Apayao, Benguet (of which Baguio City is a part), Kalinga, Ifugao and Mountain Province.

Botit (locust baskets)

Kubo (fish baskets)

Focusing on an indigenous group, here you’ll see spears, bolos (machetes), shields of Kalinga headhunters; gongs; bags; baskets; fish traps; wood sculptures depicting life in the mountains; colorful traditional clothes (ba-ag or g-string for men and tapis for the women); accounts of Ibaloi mummification practices; furniture and other artifacts.

Pasiking (hunting baskets)

An array of spears

The most unique collection in this museum – the real-life Kabayan mummy, glass encased in its wooden casket a mummy in its coffin, which visitors are not allowed to take a photo of in respect of the dead.

Tupil (storage baskets for cooked rice)

Ulbong (storage for rice crop)

The Benguet Exhibit features the following artifacts:

  • Bango– A rain gear made by woven rattan, nito fiber, and pine needles.
  • Bangew– a bag made of the same material as bango.
  • Kuval– a red-colored G-string that symbolizes power.
  • Latok– a set of serving plates.
  • Kayabang– baskets carried by Ibaloi women over their heads.
  • Duli– a necklace made of a snake’s vertebrae, which women wore during childbirth to ensure safe delivery.

Hagabi (rich man’s bench)

The Abra Exhibit features the following artifacts:

  • Kalugong– cone-shaped, bamboo hat worn by men.
  • Badu– white jacket made of cotton.
  • Ukken/Kimona– blouse made of Rengue textile.
  • Piningitan– wrap-around skirt.

Imbayah Diorama

Bodong Diorama

There are also two miniature dioramas that give you a better picture of their communities. An offshoot of the tourism field offices being regionalized in 1988, they were donated by DOT Undersecretary Narzalina Lim.  The first diorama, the “Bodong Diorama,” was donated in 1988 through DOT-CAR and Region I Director Stella Ma. De Guia, and the second, the “Imbayah Diorama,” was donated through DOT-CAR Director Carmelita Mondiguing.

Baguio: A Melting Pot Exhibit

The Colonial Hillstation Exhibit

The third floor, the Baguio City Gallery, features a compelling exhibition on the historical development of Baguio, from the 1900s to the present.  The exhibits include:

  • Baguio: A Melting Pot – features Baguio’s two National Artists (Benedicto “Bencab”” Cabrera, National Artist for the Visual Arts in 2006; and Kidlat Tahimik, National Artist for Film in 2018) and Baguio’s art scene.
  • Baguio: A Miniature Early History – features three architectural models, one of which shows Baguio as an untouched green land, a stark contrast to its current state. Here, you can see and read, in detail, the discovery of Baguio as a land of pine trees and its development into a civilized land.
  • Mayors of the Century: 1909 to the Present – a tribute to the 31 (including one woman mayor) mayors of the city, honoring their numerous achievements and contributions to Baguio’s growth.
  • The Old Versus the New – then and now photos of Baguio landmarks.
  • The Colonial Hillstation: From Health Resort to City of Pines – a timeline showcasing photographs and information on how the City of Pines started as a colonial hill station.
  • War Occupation and Liberation – features Japanese Occupation and American Liberation photos and war relics.

The Old Versus the New

War Occupation and Liberation

War Relics Display

Outside the museum are a bale (ifugao traditional house), a dap-ayan (a gathering place of village leaders) and totem poles.

Totem poles

Bale and dap-ayan

Baguio Museum: Dot-PTA Complex, cor. Governor Pack Rd. and Harrison Rd., Baguio City, 2600 Benguet.  Tel: (074) 248-1147 and (063) 444 7451.  E-mail: baguio_museum@yahoo.com.  Open daily (except Mondays), 9 AM to 5 PM. Admission:  Php100 (adults), Php70 (college students), Php60 (high school students), Php40 (elementary students) and Php50 (senior citizens and PWD).

Laperal White House (Baguio City, Benguet)

Laperal White House

The Laperal White House, also known as  Laperal Guesthouse, is known today as the “White House” due to its noticeable white exterior paint.  It was built by Filipino businessman Roberto Laperal, Sr. (1890-1966, he also built the Arlegui Guest House in 1929) in the 1930s. He and his wife Victorina (nee Guizon) Laperal made the house as their summer vacation home.

The narrow and elongated house, made with narra and yakal wood, was designed in Victorian style with its wooden planks and gables and steep roof. Inside are four rooms and a narrow, winding staircase.  The house withstood many natural and man-made disasters, such as the July 16, 1990 Luzon earthquake.

In 2007, the house was sold, by Roberto Laperal Jr. and his wife, Purificacion Manotok Laperal, to  Chinese Filipino billionaire tycoon Lucio Tan who had it renovated and refurbished, with proper maintenance, then made it into a tourist attraction. From then on, the house was opened to the public.

In 2013, the tycoon’s Tan Yan Kee Foundation transformed the ground floor of the house into a Philippine Bamboo Foundation (PBFI) museum (Ifugao Bamboo Carving Gallery) which houses Filipino artworks made of bamboo and wood. Today, it is the home of a new, upscale fine-dining restaurant called Joseph’s (owned by the older brother of ABS-CBN News broadcast journalist, Bernadette Sembrano) which was opened in December 2022 and serves Continental and contemporary French cuisine.

According to believers, the house is haunted, with stories of sightings of a little girl (said to be the three-and-a-half year old child of the owner who was killed while running, across the street, towards her nanny) standing motionless on the third step of the staircase fronting the house; a woman (said to be the nanny who killed herself in one of the bedrooms) looking out the third floor glass windows; and a white figure coming down, from the attic, down to the front entrance.

During World War II, the basement of the house was used by the Japanese as a garrison where, if stories are to believed, many were brutally tortured and executed, including members of the Laperal family.  Don Roberto survived the war but accidentally slipped, and fell to his death, from the stairs in front of the house.  He, as well as ghosts of family members, the torture and execution victims, as well as Japanese soldiers (seen in the upper bedrooms), still haunt the house.  These spirits are believed to violently push and scratch visitors to the place.

The front porch of the house. Don Roberto died here and the ghost of a little girl also appears here

Lucio Tan never stayed in the place during his trips to Baguio.   The 2010 horror movie White House, starring Gabby Concepcion, Lovi Poe, Iza Calzado and Maricar Reyes, was shot inside the building.

Laperal White House: 14 Leonard Wood Rd., Baguio City, 2600 Benguet. Coordinates: 16°24′40″N 120°36′17″E.