The Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception was the site of a bloody battle where Spanish troops defeated Filipino troops led by Captain Placido Campos and Francisco Barzaga on February 25, 1897. On December 17, 1944, during the Japanese occupation in World War II, many of the town’s residents were imprisoned here and 17 were executed and buried in a common grave.
During the Spanish era, the convent was once the seat of the civil government. In 1986, it was designated as a Marked Historical Structure by the National Historical Institute.
The present church has a three-storey Neo-Classical facade with a portico covering the semicircular arched main entrance door of the church. The upper levels, flanked by flat pilasters, have semicircular arched windows, of various sizes, and a projecting statued niche. The triangular pediment has a small circular window. The church is 55 meters (180 feet) long, 24 meters (80 feet) wide and has a 16 meter (52 feet) wide nave.
The façade is flanked on both sides by four-storey (the first two square and the upper two octagonal) bell towers with two old bells. The small bell has the inscription “Perez Dasmariñas año 1867 approx. 14 libras.”
Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception: P. Campos Avenue. Tel: (046) 416 1295 and (046) 416-0797. Feast of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception: December 8.
How to Get There: Dasmariñas City is located 50.1 kilometers (a 1.5-hour drive) from Manila and 11.6 kilometers (a 30-minute drive) from Trece Martires City.