The Church of the Holy Cross (also called the Diocesan Shrine of St. Augustine), started in 1839, was destroyed 20 years later during a strong earthquake.
The church was rebuilt in 1873 by Fr. Jose Trobat. On May 3, 1980, it was declared as a Marked Structure (of Historical Significance) by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.
Its 3-level Baroque façade has a semicircular arched main entrance with portico, above which is a square window, flanked by paired superpositioned flat pilasters and statued niches. The segmental pediment has a semicircular arched statued niche at the tympanum.
The 4-storey bell tower, sitting on a square base, has semicircular arched openings on the upper octagonal storeys. It is topped by a dome with a campanile on top.
Church of the Holy Cross: Tanza – Trece Martires Rd., Tanza 4108, Cavite. Tel: (046) 437-7086. Feast of St. Augustine: August 28
How to Get There: Tanza is located 33 kilometers from Manila, 12.7 kilometers from Trece Martires City, 3.7 kilometers from Rosario, 12.8 kilometers from Naic and 6 kilometers from Noveleta.