Island Hopping in Bulalacao (Oriental Mindoro)

Now leaving Bulalacao Fish Port for our island hopping tour. L-R: Mr. Jeshe Kassenberg, Mr. Julius L. Santiago-Aquino, Mr. Ian Soriano (DOT), Mr. Ely Aldea (DOT), Ms. Joyce A. Rocamora, Mr. Sherwin A. Cuasay (Senior Tourism Operations Officer), Ms. Jay de Guzman (DOT-MIMAROPA), Ms. Karen Lacsamana (DOT) and the author

Day Two of our Oriental Mindoro Media Familiarization Tour in Bulalacao was to be spent island hopping.  The town has 11offshore islands –  the 12-hectare Aslom Island, the 206-hectare Buyayao Island, Libago Island,  the 90-hectare Maasim Island, Nagubat Island, Opao Island, Pocanil Island, the 2.5-hectare Sibalat Island, Silad Island, the 160-hectare Tambaron Island and the 5-hectare Target Island (also called Alibatan Island).   Aslom, Soguicay and Target Islands have white sand beaches and we were to explore these three islands.  Though these islands are privately owned, they charge no admission fee to visit.

Ms. Jay with the author at Bulalacao Fish Port

After breakfast at the restaurant of Bulalacao South Drive Grill and Homestay, we boarded our respective vans for the short drive to the town’s fish port, in Kabangkalan, Poblacion, where our motorized outrigger boat awaited us.  The fish port is located just beside the town’s RO-RO port where Roll-On/Roll-Off ships and fast craft bring tourists from the town to Brgy. Caticlan (gateway to Boracay) in Aklan in about two hours.

Dutch-Nepali divemaster Jeshe Kassenberg

At the fish port, we met up with Mr. Jeshe Kassenberg, a Dutch-Nepalese dive master who moved to Bulalacao with his Welsh wife and newly born daughter, from Pattaya (Thailand), to set up a dive shop (which he will call Payapa or “peace” in the local vernacular).   He is bullish about the dive potential of the town and will accompany us to explore some new dive sites.

Fast Cat at nearby Bulalacao Port

Also joining us was Mr. Sherwin William A. Cuasay, Senior Tourism Operations Office from the Provincial Tourism and Cultural Affairs Office based in Calapan City and Ms. Cherry Jean Sanchez from the Provincial Government.  The first island we would visit is Aslom Island, followed by Target Island and finally Soguicay Island where we were to have our lunch.

A number of islands seen off Bulalacao Fish Port

Provincial Tourism and Cultural Affairs Office: Provincial Capitol Complex, Calapan City 5200.  Tel: (043) 286-7046 and (043) 441-0306. Website: www.ormindoro.gov.ph.

Gabutero Organic Farm (Bongabong, Oriental Mindoro)

Gabutero Organic Farm

After lunch at Vencio’s Garden Seafood Café in Calapan City, we boarded our respective vans for the 2 hr. (109.2 km.) drive, via the Western Nautical Highway, to the town of Bongabong.  Here, we made a stopover at Gabutero Organic Farm (GOF), a vermicomposting facility, organic processing center, livestock center, organic rice farm, agricultural cooperative and Integrated Learning and 4H Camp.

Check out “Restaurant Review: Vencio’s Garden Seafood Cafe

Press Conference (L-R): Mr. Felicito Matunan (Municipal Tourism Council President), Mr. Nelson B. Gabutero Sr. (GOF owner), Mayor Elegio A. Malaluan and Mr. Solon Morillo (Municipal Tourism Officer)

Here, we were to hold a press conference with Municipal Mayor Elegio “Elgin” A. Malaluan, GOF owner Mr. Nelson B. Gabutero, Sr., Municipal Tourism Council President Mr. Felicito Matunan and Municipal Tourism Officer Mr.Solon Morillo.

Media group at Gabutero Organic Farm

Bongabong is a center for organic rice farming in the province and the topic for discussion was the aim to make Bongabong as the “Organic Capital of Oriental Mindoro.”

Mr. Nelson Gabutero (at right) touring media group

After our press conference and a merienda of fresh fruits and sandwiches, Mr. Nelson Gabutero, a retired teacher and now a full-pledged private organic rice farmer, toured us around the facility.

Organic rice field and fish pond

Gabutero Organic Farm, the only accredited organic farm in Oriental Mindoro, is a DOT-accredited Agri-Farm Tourism Site and an Agricultural Training Institute (ATI) and TESDA accredited learning site.

Function Hall

Nelson produces vermiculture and vermi composting in a 4,425 hectare land and organic rice and vegetable in a 9 hectare agricultural land.

Pigs

Soft-Shelled Turtle enclosure

In addition to these, he also raises soft-shelled turtles, hogs, rabbits and poultry. Being an organic farmer, he is now a partner of ATI-RTC Region IV in its advocacy to promote organic farming.

Dragon Fruit (Hylocereus undatus)

Cacao (Theobrona cacao)

Among the crops and plants grown in the farm are Dragon Fruit (Hylocereus undatus), used to boost immune system and reduce cholesterol levels and high blood pressure; lettuce; watermelons; sunflowers; King Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta); Spring Onion (Allium chinense); Pepper (Capsicum annuni); Cacao (Theobrona cacao); Miracle Fruit or Calabash (Cresentia cujete), used to treat diabetes and correct chemotherapy-related taste disturbances; and the insulin plant (Costus igneus), helpful for treating Type 2 diabetes.

Miracle Fruit or Calabash (Cresentia cujete)

Sunflowers

The farm also has swimming pools (adult and children’s) with water slides, picnic huts, 4 and 6-pax airconditioned rooms (PhP2,500-3,500), 12-pax fan-cooled dorm rooms ((PhP2,500), 200-pax function hall (PhP5,000-8,000/day) for seminars and other special occasions and a butterfly farm.

Swimming Pool with water slides

Building housing guest accommodations

Butterfly Garden

You can also go fish for tilapia and boating around their palay/isdaan area. Solar panels supply some of the power needs of the farm. 

The author among rows of lettuce at the greenhouse

Gabutero Organic Farm Resort: Sitio Tubigan, Brgy. Labonan, Bongabon 5211, Oriental Mindoro. Mobile number:  (0920) 952-6421. E-mail: gabuteroorganicfarm@yahoo.com. Open daily, 8 AM – 7 PM.

Provincial Tourism and Cultural Affairs Office (PTCAO): Provincial Capitol Complex, Calapan City 5200.  Tel: (043) 286-7046 and (043) 441-0306. Website: www.ormindoro.gov.ph.

Church of St. Peter, Martyr of Varona (Hermosa, Bataan)

Church of St. Peter, Martyr of Varona

The seventh and last pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of St. Peter, Martyr of Verona in the town of Hermosa.  It was just about dusk when we arrived at the church and, as it was Holy Saturday, outside the church the Easter fire was being prepared to be kindled.

PHC Historical Marker

This church, established in 1717 and built in stone by Dominican friars, was destroyed by fire several times but was renovated in 1869.  In 1901, the church was handed over to the Filipino clergy.

The present church measures 58 m. long and 18 m. wide.  Old adobe walls were cut, sliced and re-used for its interior and exterior wall finishing.

Interior of the church

AUTHOR’S NOTES:

The church’s generally Baroque facade, with a projecting central portion, has first level with a semicircular arched main entrance flanked by coupled and single superpositioned  pilasters that rise up to the second level.

The second level has three statued niches.  The undulating pediment, carried down to large scrolls, has a centrally located circular rose window and is topped by a  square bell tower with semicircular arched openings. The whole facade is flanked by massive square piers topped by urn-like finials.

The main altar and its retablo

Church of St. Peter, Martyr of Varona: National Road, Hermosa, Bataan. Tel: (047) 491-1526. Feast of St. Peter, Martyr of Varona: May 3.

How to Get There: Hermosa is located 106.5 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 31.9 kms. (a 45-min. drive) north of Balanga City.

Church of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary (Orani, Bataan)

Church of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary

The sixth pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary in the town of Orani. The town’s present church and convent is one of the best in the province.  Both were repaired by Dominican friars in 1792.

The right side of the church

Badly damaged during the September 16, 1852 earthquake, both were improved by Dominican Frs. Bartolome Alvarez del Manzano, O.P., in 1868 and Fermin Perez San Julian in 1891.

The left side of the church

Repaired in 1936, both were destroyed by the fire of March 16, 1938 and reconstructed on September 1938.  In 1939, a historical marker at the façade of the church was installed by the Philippines Historical Committee, classifying it as a House of Worship with Level II status.

PHC Historical Marker

On August 15, 1945, the church was rehabilitated by Fr. Elias Calimbas. Its construction was finished in 1982 by Fr. Simplicio Fernandez and Msgr. Emilano Santos. On April 18, 1959, the image of the Nuestra Señora del Rosario was canonically crowned in a solemn ceremony headed by the Archbishop of San Fernando and the Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines.

The four-storey bell tower on the right

From 1987 to October 6, 1991, the church was renovated Frs. Antonio Dumaual and Camilo Pacanza and, on October 6, 1991, the new altar ( which replaced the former Neoclassic altar which was demolished in the late 1980s) was blessed by Bishop Celso N. Guevarra.

A right side entrance doorway

In 2002, the church and convent were repaired and improved and, on August 22, 2004, it was declared as a Pilgrimage Shrine (Shrines to the Virgin Mary or “Dambana ng Paglalakbay”) by then Bishop of Balanga and later Archbishop of Lingayen Socrates B. Villegas.

The church interior

On April 18, 2009, the 50th Golden Anniversary of the Virgin’s Canonical Coronation was celebrated with the presence of Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales.On September 25, 2012, the church was granted a perpetual spiritual affinity bond by Pope Benedict XVI with the Basilica of St. Mary Major in Rome.

The church’s three-level Baroque and Neoclassical facade has regularly spaced paired columns alternating with pedimented windows at the second level and topped by a pediment decorated with huge flowing scrolls.

The main altar

It is separated from the second level by a triglyph-decorated horizontal cornice.  On the church’s right is its four-storey bell tower.   Its old 1806 bell was installed in front of the church on June 7, 1998. The Church has four portals – the Gate of Heaven, the Gate of Saints, the Gate of Angels and the Gate of Paradise.

The dome above the altar

Beside the church is the Museo ng Mahal na Birheng Maria, a repository of Marian relics and artifacts such as the numerous vestments and crowns of the Lady of the Most Holy Rosary.

Museo ng Mahal na Birhen Maria

In front of the church is the historic bell of the church, dedicated and first used during the tenure of Frs. Juan José de Acuña and Esteban de Sta. María in 1806 and installed on June 7, 1998.

The Bell of Orani

Church of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary: National Highway, Poblacion. Tel: (047) 481-1095 and (047) 333-7252. Feast of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary: Second Sunday of October.

How to Get There: Orani is located 104.9 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 16.6 kms. (a 15-min. drive) north of Balanga City.

Church of St. Catherine of Sienna (Samal, Bataan)

Church of St. Catherine of Sienna

The fifth pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of St. Catherine of Sienna in the town of Samal.  The town’s first church was destroyed during the Dutch attack in 1647 and was rebuilt by Dominican Fr. Jeronimo Belen and again by Fr. Juan Zubelsu in the later half of the 17th century.

The 5-storey hexagonal bell tower

It was burned in 1836 and its roof repaired with galvanized sheets by Fr. Miguel Portell (who also built the convent).  In 1898, the church was burned by Katipuneros to drive out their enemies in the convent. Fr. Justo Quesada rebuilt the present church and convent from 1903 to 1905.

The convent

The church’s three-level, High Renaissance facade has semicircular arched main entrance with recessed door jamb and flanked by segmented arched windows and superimposed pilasters topped by pinnacles.

Church interior

Main altar and retablo

The second level has a semicircular arched window flanked by two smaller semicircular arched windows (above which are small triangular pediments).

Historical marker installed by the Philippine Historical Committee in 1939

Its balustered pediment has a blind circular window at the tympanum, above which is a small statued niche.  On the church’s right is its five-storey, hexagonal bell tower, with blind and open semicircular arch fenestration, and topped by a dome.

Right side altar

Left side altar

Church of St. Catherine of Sienna: Guttieres St., Brgy. San Roque, Samal.  Tel: (047) 451-1101. Feast of St. Catherine of Sienna: April 30.

How to Get There: Samal is located 111.3 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 14.6 kms. (a 25-min. drive) north of Balanga City.

Church of St. Dominic of Guzman (Abucay, Bataan)

Church of St. Dominic of Guzman

The fourth pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of St. Dominic of Guzman in the town of Abucay.  This church was built by Fr. Geronimo de Belen in the early 1600s after the establishment of the Dominican mission in Abucay on June 10, 1588.

PHC Historical Marker

In 1608, it housed one of the earliest printing presses in the country.  Here, Dominican Friar Fr. Francisco Blancas de San Jose, O.P.  and Don Tomas Pinpin printed several books in Spanish and Tagalog.

The 5-storey bell tower on the church’s left

This church’s court was the site of a fierce battle between the Dutch and Pampango natives on June 23, 1647.  After the battle, hundreds of Kapampangans and Spanish officials and priests were massacred in the church complex, while others were taken to the former Dutch colony of Batavia (the original downtown area of JakartaIndonesia).

The wooden door at main entrance

The church was damaged during the September 16, 1852 earthquake.   Destroyed by fire in 1870, it was later reconstructed by Fr. Jose Diego Pelaez. In 1925, major changes were made in the church’s structure.

The balustered pediment

The church’s two-level, Renaissance -style facade, divided vertically by single or coupled Doric columns, has a semicircular arched main portal flanked by statued niches on the first level, and three segmental arched fenestrations on the second level.

The church’s interior

The undulating pediment, its top lined with balusters, with a statued niche of St. Dominic of Guzman in the center.  All are topped by triangular pediments, each with a pair of decorative brackets to support it.

The main altar

The second-level cornice is topped by four urn-like finials. To the right of the church rises the five-storey bell tower, each of its storeys defined by decorative balusters and ornamented with semicircular arched windows. It still houses the bells donated in 1839 and 1859.

The dome above the main altar

Church of St. Dominic of Guzman: Brgy. Laon, Abucay, BataanTel: (047) 237-3830. Feast of Saint Dominic of Guzman: Last Sunday of October.

How to Get There: Abucay is located 115.9 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 7.6 kms. (a 15-min. drive) north of Balanga City.

Diocesan Shrine and Cathedral Parish of St. Joseph (Balanga City, Bataan)

Diocesan Shrine and Cathedral Parish of St. Joseph

The third pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Diocesan Shrine and Cathedral Parish of St. Joseph in the capital city of Balanga.

PHC Historical Marker

The city’s church and convent was built in 1714 by Dominican Fr. Agustin Esquivel and renovated by Fr. Benito Rivas who strengthened the church by raising and fortifying its wall.

The 5-storey bell tower on the cathedral’s left

Fr. Vicente Fernandez changed its roof to galvanized iron sheets and decorated its interior.  From 1838 to 1845, Fr. Fernando Ma. Miñano constructed the arch of the choir loft and made a baptismal font out of granite from Mariveles.

The cathedral’s interior

During World War II, the cathedral was used by the Japanese 14th Army as an artillery emplacement to bombard Mt. Samat, where the Filipino-American troops were making their last stand.  On March 19, 2015 the cathedral was formally declared as a Diocesan Shrine.

Main altar

The church’s Baroque facade has a semicircular arched main entrance, segmented arched windows on the second level and is topped by a huge, undulating pediment with a niche supported by a pier and lintel.

Left side altar

Right side altar

The pediment’s raking cornice is enhanced by volute-like strip mold.  On the church’s left is its five-storey, hexagonal bell tower.

Confessional and wooden spiral stairs leading to the choir loft

Diocesan Shrine and Cathedral Parish of St. Joseph: Brgy.  Poblacion, Balanga CityBataan. Tel: (047) 237-3595. Feast of Saint Joseph, the Husband of Mary: April 28.

How to Get There: Balanga City is located 118.6 kms. (a 2.5-hour drive) from Manila.

 

Museo ng Kagitingan (Pilar, Bataan)

Museo Ng Kagitingan

After our visit to the Church of Our Lady of the Pillar, Maricar, Norman, Jandy and I visited the nearby Museo ng Kagitingan.  It being a Black Saturday, we were surprised to find it open. Inaugurated a little over a week ago (April 10, the 218th Foundation Day of Pilar), this 2-storey, airconditioned museum, originally the town’s Puericulture Center, is the first local museum in Bataan.

Check out “Church of Our Lady of the Pillar

A sculpture of horse-riding soldiers, ready for action, with the Philippine flag raised high above their heads.  Beside it is a replica of the KM41 Death March marker

At the right side of the entrance of the museum, facing the National Road, is a sculpture of horse-riding soldiers, ready for action, with the Philippine flag raised high above their heads.  Beside it is a replica of the KM41 Death March marker, one of two markers that can be seen in Pilar (the other being KM26).

A Church Dedicated to Our Lady of PIlar

Spanish Colonial Pilar

The museum’s logo features the maya, a local bird that denotes freedom, plus some of the most important points of interest in Pilar. The museum houses old newspaper clippings; journals; an old residence certificate; old baptismal records; a rich gallery of old photos collected from locals of Pilar; and artworks  with historical value created by local artists.

Old Photos

A Filipina Costume of Youth and Gaiety

Religious Devotion and Piety in Pilar

There’s also a four-page manuscript of the late Pres. Ferdinand Marcos’ speech when he visited Bataan, perhaps during the inauguration of the Mt. Samat Shrine of Valor.

America Introduces the Public School

Pilar in Stained Glass

A glass stain mosaic, by artist Resty B.Calapan, depicts the Church of Our Lady of the Pillar, the Dambana ng Kagitingan, the Death March, the Flaming Sword Monument as well as Dunsolan Falls and the town’s Kasinagan Festival. 

Stair glass railing etched with scenes from Bataan Death March (Museo ng Kagitingan, Pilar, Bataan)

Pilar in Contemporary Times

The glass railing of the stairs leading to the second floor is etched with scenes from the infamous Bataan Death March.

Old Baptismal Records

Pilar Town Builders

On loan to the museum from someone’s private collection is a bench made of bamboo made by the late National Artist Napoleon Abueva.  The aptly titled “The Hallowed Grounds of Mt. Samat” gives a comprehensive description of the Shrine of Valor.

The Hallowed Grounds of Mt. Samat

Assuming the Philippines’ Defense

There’s also a visual representation of the Death March, giving emphasis to Bataan’s involvement in the Filipino soldiers’ fight for freedom during World War II. Throughout the display, we can see small figures of soldiers walking along the representation.

The Philippine Scouts

The Second World War Rolls Into Bataan

There’s also a bench made from a century-old acacia tree that used to stand along the National Road in Brgy. Santa Rosa. A mute witness to the various events in Pilar’s history, it unfortunately fell down during a strong typhoon.

A Mute Witness to Pilar’s History

Norman, Maricar and Jandy at Museo Ng Kagitingan

Museo ng Kagitingan: National Road, Pilar, Bataan.  Admission: P30.

Church of Our Lady of the Pillar (Pilar, Bataan)

Church of Our Lady of the Pillar

The second pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of Our Lady of the Pillar in the town of Pilar.  This church, with pilasters and adobe stone walls, was started in 1834 by Dominican Fr. Jesualdo Minaño. Fr. Jose Diego (1851-1864) completed the second row of windows and Fr. Francisco Govea (1864-1867) constructed the church’s walls. Fr. Miguel Vasquez (1882-1886) galvanized the roofs in 1885.

The left side of the church

On May 28, 1898, local revolutionaries burned the church, including the rectory.  The image of Nuestra Señora del Pilar survived. In 1931, Dominican Fr. Fermin de San Julian built a new stone church while Fr. Renato Manansala (1977-1979) rebuilt the still standing old rectory.

The right side of the church

Fr. Roberto Tayao (1996-2003) installed stained glass windows at the sanctuary and new flooring for the entire church. On March 4, 2001, the church was consecrated by Ricardo Cardinal J. Vidal.  Surprisingly, unlike the six other pilgrim churches and in spite of its history and age, this church doesn’t have a historical plaque installed by the Philippine Historical Commitee (PHC).

The church interior

Its two-level, Baroque facade has a projecting central section with a semicircular arched main entrance flanked by coupled flat pilasters.

The main altar

The second level has three semicircular arched statue niches and is topped by a balustrade and a central square bell tower.  Interestingly, it is the only church in Bataan built facing the mountains instead of the sea.  Near the church is the Museo ng Kagitingan.

Check out “Museo ng Kagitingan

One of the church’s bells

Church of Our Lady of the Pillar: Poblacion, Pilar, Bataan.  Tel: (047) 237-2923. Feast of Our Lady of the Pillar: October 12.

How to Get There: Pilar is located 131.4 kms. (a 2.5-hr. drive) from Manila and 15 kms. (a 25-min. drive) from Balanga City.

Church of St. Michael the Archangel (Orion, Bataan)

Church of St. Michael the Archangel

The first pilgrim church we visited in our visita iglesia was the Church of St. Michael the Archangel in the town of Orion.  The town’s present day 19th-century church was repaired by the Dominicans upon their return in 1832.

The church complex

It was extensively damaged during the September 16, 1852 earthquake but was rebuilt in 1854 by Fr. Jose Campomanes, OP.   Fr. Ulpiano Herrera constructed the beautiful sacristy and the marble altars.  The church was repaired by Fr. Miguel Fuster and its dome was added by Fr. Jose Auli.

Statue of St. Michael the Archangel

The church’s three-level, barn-style  Baroque facade has a balustraded semicircular arched concrete porte cochere (a later addition) at the main entrance and is flanked by flat pilasters (that divide the façade into five segments) topped by urn-like finialsCornices divide the expanse of the wall into two levels.

PHC Historical Marker

The undulating pediment, with its raking cornice and a square window at the tympanum, ends into two small volutes before tapering down to the sides. It has a framed statued niche, within a post and lintel arrangement, flanked by two hexagonal windows.

The church interior

On the church’s left is its slender four-storey bell tower whose two uppermost levels are octagonal.  It is pierced with rectangular, circular and semicircular arched campanile windows.

The main altar

The dome above the main altar

The early 18th century main altarpiece (retablo), done in the Rococo style, features the seven archangels and a tableau of the Holy Family

The left side altar

The right side altar

Church of St. Michael the Archangel: Brgy. San Vicente, OrionBataan. Feast of St. Michael the Archangel: May 8.

How to Get There: Orion is located 132 kms. from Manila and 6 kms. south of Balanga City.